Skip to main content

It's no surprise that Mitt Romney bent himself into a pretzel to disavow the portions

of Obamacare that derive from his own reform in Massachusetts.
Timothy Noah

I trained for the marathon. I run along the East River, and I used to run all the way down Manhattan, up the West Side and back home.
Amy Carlson

I believe that if writers want their readers to care about a character, they have to care themselves. I have to root for a detective who screws up as much as Thorne does, who shares my birthday, my North London stomping ground, and my love of country music, both alt and cheesy.
Mark Billingham

I don't think schooling of any sort really prepares you for real life. I don't know if art school would have prepared me to draw comics. Half of the people I know in comics went to art school, half of them didn't. Some of them went and dropped out.
Dave Gibbons

If you're a devoted collector of design, you seek out objects you can love to live with but also live in.
Dasha Zhukova

It should be natural, and that's how I like women to look. I like them to feel comfortable and look organic.
Alice Temperley

In England, I've never had to drive myself to work. I don't think the English producers trust actors to get up at five A.M. and get to the set on time.
Gina Bellman

As members of Congress, we take an oath to uphold the Constitution and bear true faith and allegiance to the United States, not the Republican or Democratic party. I have been willing to stand up to my own leadership when it's in the national interest.
Jackie Speier

Gemeoss

Literature is my Utopia. Here I am not disenfranchised. No barrier of the senses shuts

me out from the sweet, gracious discourses of my book friends. They talk to me without embarrassment or awkwardness. Helen Keller For me, unemployment and poverty in the Greater Montreal area is not mainly a problem of structure, or design, or statistics. It is a profoundly human situation. Kim Campbell Nature makes woman to be won and men to win. George William Curtis I'm pretty catholic about what constitutes science fiction. Frederik Pohl Paradise is exactly like where you are right now... only much, much better. Laurie Anderson

It was impossible for me to believe that conditions in Europe could be worse than

they were in the Polish section of Chicago, and in many Italian and Irish tenements, or that any workshops could be worse than some of those I had seen in our foreign quarters. Alice Hamilton What is sad for women of my generation is that they weren't supposed to work if they had families. What were they going to do when the children are grown - watch the raindrops coming down the window pane? Jackie Kennedy In order for the artist to have a world to express he must first be situated in this world, oppressed or oppressing, resigned or rebellious, a man among men. Charles Baudelaire In matters of commerce the fault of the Dutch Is offering too little and asking too much. The French are with equal advantage content, So we clap on Dutch bottoms just twenty per cent. George Canning Money is only useful when you get rid of it. It is like the odd card in 'Old Maid'; the player who is finally left with it has lost. Evelyn Waugh Life is ten percent what happens to yo...

You can give men food and leisure and amusements and good conditions of work, and

still they will remain unsatisfied. You can deny them all these things, and they will not complain so long as they feel that they have something to die for. Christopher Dawson Apart from that Mrs Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play? Tom Lehrer This is the precept by which I have lived: Prepare for the worst; expect the best; and take what comes. Hannah Arendt I will fight for my children on any level so they can reach their potential as human beings and in their public duties. Princess Diana Rarely do members of the same family grow up under the same roof. Richard Bach

If we were to use the success of 'Need You Now' as the barometer for

every other song, then we'll probably be highly disappointed. That song will probably undoubtedly be the biggest song of our career. We can hopefully have success for 20 years, but we may not ever have the success of that one particular song again. Charles Kelley It is difficult to separate oneself from one's design moralities. David Chipperfield My grandmother, grandfather, my mom - we've always been driven by laughter. It's what held us together. Thanksgivings, any kind of family get-together, we usually end up in tears. Yelawolf Rebecca Black might sing like a robot, but that's just proof she has evolved beyond us. Her vocal is just a slightly exaggerated version of the robot glitch-twitch stutter that's been mainstream pop vocalese for the past 10 years or so. Rob Sheffield To survive, the GOP needs to invite people in, not shut them out. Eliot Spitzer 7 Mile is like an Ave. Back in the days it was poppin' in the summer time. Obie Trice ...

Red Carpet Enterprise has been really well received since one guy can install

it in about an hour, and it makes it trivial to deal with software management issues like deploying updates and creating standard package sets for your various machines. Nat Friedman Excessive sorrow laughs. Excessive joy weeps. William Blake Morality is a test of our conformity rather than our integrity. Jane Rule We should be as careful of the books we read, as of the company we keep. The dead very often have more power than the living. Tryon Edwards Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door. Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Marines in Korea never feared 'friendly fire' or artillery coming from the South Koreans

- from their allies - like they did later in Vietnam, fighting with the South Vietnamese. The Koreans could be trusted. David Douglas Duncan Diversifying our tech talent pool is an imperative for the tech sector. More diverse engineers and entrepreneurs will bring about a new type of innovation that Silicon Valley has yet to see. Mitch Kapor I'm not harmful, just introspective. You can probably think I'm weird, but it's not harmful weird. Henry Rollins They say Einstein died while he was still trying to figure out gravity. I think I'm going to die still trying to figure out some of the things about Blink. Tom DeLonge My mother reads tarot cards, actually, but I won't let her read mine. Sam Taylor-Johnson The 'Carousel' overture has always been one of my all-time favorite pieces of music. Kelli O'Hara I try to have the motto of living life with no regrets. Matt Flynn I general don't color my stuff - I'm pretty horrible with co...

Slavery, racism, sexism, and other forms of bigotry, subordination, and human rights abuse transform and

adapt with the times. John Prendergast The United States came out of the 1990s, if anything, in an even greater position of hegemony and preeminence than it was at the beginning of the 1990s. John Lewis Gaddis People say, 'Oh, God, how devastating to go through a divorce.' Did I wish for this to happen to my family? No. But everyone is healthy; we're moving on with our lives. Heidi Klum Although there's an inherent light-heartedness to 'Sherlock,' I slightly err towards not doing the comedy. Martin Freeman Becoming a parent expands you as a human being. I am having the most wonderful time. You've married, but the addition of a child strengthens and deepens everything. Kyle MacLachlan When I was immobilized by fear, I might have a panic attack. I've had a couple of panic attacks in my life. Gail Sheehy The ratings board is completely different when it comes to film versus the television arena. Lee Daniels I'm a good eater and like...

The two sensibilities, the visual and the verbal, have always been linked for me -

in fact, while reading a particularly evocative passage, I will imagine what the photograph I'd take of that scene would look like, even with burning and dodging notes. Maybe everyone does this. Sally Mann Hip-hop is the people. What the people are moving toward is what hip-hop is. I think people are moving toward a freer way of thinking. Openness. Erykah Badu I can't work in an environment where it's a stiff hierarchy; that's not my kind of way. Steven Rodney McQueen Tapas is a celebration of life. Jose Andres Everything I've written is based on something that has happened to me or something that I know a great deal about. Peter Benchley It was great being brought up in a Glasgow working-class tenement. It wasn't miserable, and it wasn't poverty stricken. It felt very safe, full of delights. Peter Capaldi The full thing is God-given. I don't know how I got my swing or what I did. I know I worked every single day. I know I did as much a...

I don't know the accident of still being married. I was the worst human being.

But we were, I guess, in love. So much has happened to us to bring us together and keep us together. Shelley Berman My first time overseas was taking 10,000 tons of beer to Vietnam. John F. Kelly In the beginning, I was riddled with major complexes about my looks. Even now, here and there, these complexes crop up. But as the days progressed, I learnt to handle them much better. Dhanush A lot of times, I don't want to listen to my stuff, because I'm thinking maybe I didn't do my best. Darius Rucker I don't feel that I'm particularly political. I'm interested in politics; I'll express my view if I feel strongly about something, but humanitarian issues, I think, are slightly different. Gary Lineker I was never drawn just into fashion. I was drawn into it because I am really interested in serving women and providing women with solutions, trying to figure out what we need and why we need that and why we wear stuff, how it makes us feel. That was al...

Well, number one I like dancing. Number two I knew it would be

challenging because I had never done this type of dance before. I always wanted to and I happened to have the courage to go out there and give it my best shot. Evander Holyfield Take pleasure in your dreams; relish your principles and drape your purest feelings on the heart of a precious lover. Giotto di Bondone It is guaranteed to put all teeth on edge, including George Washington's, wherever they might be. Vincent Canby Time is what prevents everything from happening at once. John Archibald Wheeler I never had a policy; I have just tried to do my very best each and every day. Abraham Lincoln