Skip to main content

I love listening to the radio because there's something about that discovery, that platform, still

being the main medium. And it is changing with streaming services, but I like to listen to what people are listening to and figure out why is this song so catchy.
Maren Morris

I had to learn right away how to improvise behind Ornette, which not only meant following him from one key to another and recognizing the different keys, but modulating in a way that the keys flowed in and out of each other, and the new harmonies sounded right.
Charlie Haden

Dancing and moving and singing and making music has always made sense to me as a way of being. I didn't know whether it was a viable career path, but I tend to be idealistic.
Sophie Hawley-Weld

With a doughnut in each hand, anything is possible.
Jameela Jamil

I didn't think I liked country music. Then I got into Garth Brooks.
Zac Brown

As a kid, I would wake up, and there'd be a jazz funeral while I'm walking to school. And when I come home, you can find Rebirth band playing for a birthday party the same day.
Trombone Shorty

I wouldn't want my corner throwing in the towel no matter what. I wouldn't want my corner to do that.
Stipe Miocic

Ezra Pound was a crackpot on social and political issues, but he knew what he was talking about in matters of the written language.
Pete Hamill

Did Google know much about media? Or Amazon about commerce? Tesla about cars? SpaceX about rockets? EBay about classifieds? What did I know about computing when I started Sun Microsystems? We should celebrate these entrepreneurs, not pillory them for fighting entrenched incumbent industries that have political influence and money.
Vinod Khosla

Everything happens for a reason, if you work hard for it.
Julie Ertz

Gemeoss

'The Golden Compass' became a bad experience because the studio didn't have faith in the

strength of the ideas of the novel, which is ironic because it's one of the greatest fantasy novels ever written, if not the greatest, and they took the religion out of it and tried to turn it into a popcorn movie. Chris Weitz If I feel strongly, I say it. I know I can do more good by being vocal than by staying quiet. I'd have a whole lot more money if I lied, but I wouldn't enjoy spending it. Martina Navratilova I saw Ronnie Hawkins play near my hometown, Port Dover, Ontario, and I saw him play there on New Year's Eve and the following spring I booked myself to be his opening act on maybe five shows, and he hired me after the first night. Rick Danko You sort of have to become what you're wearing. Pharrell Williams I believe in status symbols. Brooks Stevens The path that went by the little house had become a road. Almost every day Laura and Mary stopped their playing and stared in surprise at a wagon slowly creaking by on that road. Laura Ingalls W...

'No Child Left Behind' requires states and school districts to ensure that all

students are learning and are reaching their highest potential. Special education students should not be left out of these accountability mechanisms. Dianne Feinstein You couldn't have done this without killing an Arab prince. Michael Scheuer I'm a horrible public speaker. Bill Condon Both mind and heart when given up to reveries and dreaminess, have a thousand avenues open for the entrance of evil. Charles Simmons The last suit that you wear, you don't need any pockets. Wayne Dyer It is great wealth to a soul to live frugally with a contented mind. Lucretius How can you practice dancing in an airplane? There's a law against it. George Murphy

I really want to move away from the old model in which you have to

rely on people giving $10 after a humanitarian crisis to a newer model where people give money but also their time and their skills, whatever they have, to the causes that are personally meaningful to them well before the crisis moment presents itself. Chris Hughes At one time, I was persuaded to want to make music, and people answered me that that was not possible. Yannick Noah Soldiers of the American Revolution fought that 18th century war with heavy muskets. In the early 20th century, we kids fought it every Fourth of July not only with exploding powder and shimmering flares, but with all of our senses. Paul Engle Strength does not have to be belligerent and loud. Russell Brand You don't have to invent the wheel, but you might want to be the company that invents the rims. MC Hammer The power which money gives is that of brute force; it is the power of the bludgeon and the bayonet. William Cobbett Men need to live and breathe women. Adam Levine I am a lover ...

I made a Christmas album a couple of years ago and just put it out

on my Web site. It kind of smacked of this flavor. All of the reviews said it was Western swing even when it was Christmas standards. Suzy Bogguss Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown. William Shakespeare To be a good draftsman was to me a blessing. John James Audubon As you get older three things happen. The first is your memory goes, and I can't remember the other two. Norman Wisdom Love is the great miracle cure. Loving ourselves works miracles in our lives. Louise L. Hay We have two evils to fight, capitalism and racism. We must destroy both racism and capitalism. Huey Newton Talk ought always to run obliquely, not nose to nose with no chance of mental escape. Frank Moore Colby

If we were to use the success of 'Need You Now' as the barometer for

every other song, then we'll probably be highly disappointed. That song will probably undoubtedly be the biggest song of our career. We can hopefully have success for 20 years, but we may not ever have the success of that one particular song again. Charles Kelley It is difficult to separate oneself from one's design moralities. David Chipperfield My grandmother, grandfather, my mom - we've always been driven by laughter. It's what held us together. Thanksgivings, any kind of family get-together, we usually end up in tears. Yelawolf Rebecca Black might sing like a robot, but that's just proof she has evolved beyond us. Her vocal is just a slightly exaggerated version of the robot glitch-twitch stutter that's been mainstream pop vocalese for the past 10 years or so. Rob Sheffield To survive, the GOP needs to invite people in, not shut them out. Eliot Spitzer 7 Mile is like an Ave. Back in the days it was poppin' in the summer time. Obie Trice ...

That's where I got my start and where I'll continue to work, but I can't

tell you the number of films between Drugstore Cowboy and Curly Sue that I auditioned for and wanted that didn't choose me. Kelly Lynch I haven't spoken English with native speakers in several months. I've been speaking Arabic. John Walker Lindh Today you can't go by the titles of the shows to know what the content of the show may be. Donna Douglas It hinders the creative work of the mind if the intellect examines too closely the ideas as they pour in. Friedrich Schiller We create our own unhappiness. The purpose of suffering is to help us understand we are the ones who cause it. Willie Nelson We all want peace. Unfortunately, there are times when peace must be defended by fighting terror and tyranny. James H. Douglas, Jr. It is hard to say why politicians are called servants, unless it is because a good one is hard to find. Gerald F. Lieberman

The keystone of the Fascist doctrine is its conception of the State, of its essence,

its functions, and its aims. For Fascism the State is absolute, individuals and groups relative. Benito Mussolini I don't think aggression works like thirst or sleep. I think aggression is more elicited by particular situations. I think it can be mitigated. Steven Pinker I'm the son of a pediatrician, and I do believe that the most important resource we have is our kids. And I think the most important thing for America's future is to invest more in our children. Ezekiel Emanuel People love cliches. If you can give people cliches, that's very good TV, then. Michael Hirst Each generation should be made to bear the burden of its own wars, instead of carrying them on, at the expense of other generations. James Madison If you ask around, it's pretty easy to find someone who has a bank account overdraft horror story to tell. Carolyn Maloney I don't think it's possible to have a wedding without it being stressful! Debra Messing I come from a ru...

In narrative cinema, a certain terminology has already been established: 'film noir,' 'Western,'

even 'Spaghetti Western.' When we say 'film noir' we know what we are talking about. But in non-narrative cinema, we are a little bit lost. So sometimes, the only way to make us understand what we are talking about is to use the term 'avant-garde.' Jonas Mekas I was a good student - a geek, really - editor of the school paper, thought I was going to go to university. Birgitte Hjort Sorensen There are always certain things that you tap into, your own personal experiences, and I try to base my characters on someone I know or someone I've seen. Stephen Graham Doing designs on a loom takes a lot of talent and experience, and, trust me, I won't be able to do that. Liya Kebede Lots of male friendships begin as a cheeky snog. Or a little undercurrent of flirtation. Kate Winslet There's no happier person than a truly thankful, content person. Joyce Meyer Once you realize just the sort of glut of books that exists out there, it does become i...

It was impossible for me to believe that conditions in Europe could be worse than

they were in the Polish section of Chicago, and in many Italian and Irish tenements, or that any workshops could be worse than some of those I had seen in our foreign quarters. Alice Hamilton What is sad for women of my generation is that they weren't supposed to work if they had families. What were they going to do when the children are grown - watch the raindrops coming down the window pane? Jackie Kennedy In order for the artist to have a world to express he must first be situated in this world, oppressed or oppressing, resigned or rebellious, a man among men. Charles Baudelaire In matters of commerce the fault of the Dutch Is offering too little and asking too much. The French are with equal advantage content, So we clap on Dutch bottoms just twenty per cent. George Canning Money is only useful when you get rid of it. It is like the odd card in 'Old Maid'; the player who is finally left with it has lost. Evelyn Waugh Life is ten percent what happens to yo...

The difference between 'Watchmen' and a normal comic book is this: With 'Batman's Gotham City,'

you are transported to another world where that superhero makes sense; 'Watchmen' comes at it in a different way, it almost superimposes its heroes on your world, which then changes how you view your world through its prism. Zack Snyder What's weird is that I work with these directors and then I start channeling them. I kind of turn into them a bit - which is cool when you're working with Clint Eastwood. Jamie Bell Whatever the reason is, I hope we can finish talking about the Olympics. It's gone, it's behind us. The schedule wasn't proper for players who went there and there is some fatigue in a lot guys' play right now. Saku Koivu With me and basketball, it became part of me. Mike Krzyzewski Don't you know that every perfect life would mean the end of art? Robert Musil My characters are driven by a passionate desire for justice. They are rebellious and incorruptible. Tahar Ben Jelloun The Tea Party ended up being a shill for corpo...