Skip to main content

You have to understand: the narrative that people have about business and capitalism is that

they are fundamentally selfish, greedy, and exploitative. Of course, I don't agree with that narrative.
John Mackey

Sometimes, you just have to clear your head and get out to see other things. It is very important to be nourished. I love to go to museums and galleries, I like to see theatre, film, dance - anything creative. It doesn't promise you inspiration, but it nourishes your creative soul, and that's good.
Marc Jacobs

When I was growing up, I don't remember being told that America was created so that everyone could get rich. I remember being told it was about opportunity and the pursuit of happiness. Not happiness itself, but the pursuit.
Martin Scorsese

Folk music is music that everyday people can play, and it inspired a lot of people to make their own music. That trailed into making your own pop music, and that's why garage bands started springing up everywhere.
Arlo Guthrie

I'm a real nature lover, so whenever possible, I like to get to the beach or get to a forest or get somewhere there's fresh air. Apart from that, I'm a film addict and a DVD freak.
Murray Bartlett

Sometimes, you get too hopped up, too excited, and it works against you.
Tommy Lasorda

The go-to reflex all over Hollywood is still likeability. I've always had a problem with it because I think I have a weird barometer in the sense that some of the characters I've cared about the most in movies are characters that are often thought of as despicable.
Damien Chazelle

For me, there is a strong family connection to Boston and anything connected to Boston, which includes Fenway.
John Williams

Europe in general is a great place for me, but specifically Germany has been very good to me. Germans love classical music... Electronic dance music is massive over there, so I'm kind of the marriage between the two.
Lindsey Stirling

All the world loves a young emerging artist, and sometimes it seems that all the world wants to be one - on a bad, gloomy planet, to be colourful and creative seems so promising.
Michael Leunig

It seems to be unfathomable to people that I just happen to be 49 and look good. I am totally capable of accepting myself.
Sharon Stone

Gemeoss

For me, triathlons were something that was down to me and my fitness. Now, I

really enjoy the pain in the triathlon of chasing someone down. It's a bit like chasing down Nico Rosberg in the last few laps at Silverstone - it makes you feel alive. Jenson Button I have this horrible sense of humor where I think discomfort is funny - partly because I experience discomfort a lot, and it's a way of laughing at it and getting a release. Joaquin Phoenix As long as there are people who are not happy with their lot in life, as long as the United States is perceived to somehow be the cause of this unhappiness, there will be terrorism. Cofer Black I'm just not one of those naturally funny, relaxed actors who enjoy the spotlight and are so good at it. Heath Ledger Be sure of yourself, don't let anyone bully you, be a strong and independent woman or boy. Nicole Polizzi When I started studying tenor saxophone as a kid in Belfast, I did so with a guy named George Cassidy, who was also a big inspiration. Van Morrison We get sucked into the Inte

I was friends with Susan Sontag the last four years of her life. She had

this amazing charisma and so much energy, but she had a sad little funeral in Montparnasse in Paris. It was rainy. It was all wrong. And I was thinking, 'God, she loved life so much.' Marina Abramovic Even with all our technology and the inventions that make modern life so much easier than it once was, it takes just one big natural disaster to wipe all that away and remind us that, here on Earth, we're still at the mercy of nature. Neil deGrasse Tyson A secret is not something unrevealed, but something told privately, in a whisper. Marcel Pagnol I was classically trained in operetta from about age 4, I think. Clare Bowen Music is a language. Youssou N'Dour Good can imagine Evil; but Evil cannot imagine Good. W. H. Auden If you want to get along with somebody, let them be right, and it will last longer. Anthony Kiedis To rule is not so much a question of the heavy hand as the firm seat. Jose Ortega y Gasset The weaker the country, the stronger the

The point is, the political reporters are the ones who no longer understand the ritual

they are covering. They keep searching for political meanings in the tepid events when a convention is now essentially a human drama and only that. William Greider Shields were generally made of wood, covered with leather, or some similar substance. To secure them, in some sort, from being cut through by the sword, they were surrounded with a hoop of metal. Thomas Bulfinch When you give an artist a canvas, you shouldn't tell him exactly how much paint to put on it, or exactly how sharp the images should be. You should let the artist get going. Reed Hundt There are a lot of stars I've worked with - big stars - who, when they walk on set, the energy just changes. Kathleen Robertson I played with so many musicians and some of the musicians would have something I want. I steal a lot of them, and I mash it up, I mash it up into my chords. David Edwards When I finally decided that my only hope was to go to college, I took an acting class, and once I walked onstage, I j

The thing that strikes you most about being a soldier in a war zone and

in action to the small extent that I was, when actually people start shooting, which happened to me a couple of times, everything goes on automatic and there's a feeling of tremendous elevation and even elation. Mark Helprin I was raised on the brothers Grimm, but my favorite fairy tales in the world are Oscar Wilde's - 'The Nightingale and the Rose,' 'The Selfish Giant.' The latter is probably my all-time favorite. Denis O'Hare When I came to Berkeley, I met all these Nobel laureates and I got to know that they were regular people. They were very smart and very motivated and worked very hard, but they were still humans, whereas before they were kind of mythical creatures to me. George Smoot I think they are paying a lot more attention to news now, by the way, in part because of national-security issues. A lot of young people have friends or family in the military today. Tom Brokaw But when I was twelve years old I caught my first strong glimpse

Show business has been really, really good to me because I can work and take

a lot of time off, and I'm extremely undisciplined person. Meryl Streep In one way, I suppose, I have been 'in denial' for some time, knowingly burning the candle at both ends and finding that it often gives a lovely light. Christopher Hitchens I'm a kid that went to theater school. I thought I was going to be making my living doing plays regionally or in New York or on Broadway, and maybe if I got lucky I would do a movie here or there. Matt Bomer As you get older it's more confusing. Suddenly, there's more pressure to fit in to your assigned gender. Chaz Bono I just want to be remembered as a person who loved God, who served others more than he served himself, who was trying to grow in maturity and stability. Mike Yaconelli The theory in great families was 'why work if you don't have to.' Being a public figure was reserved for movie stars. Jacqueline de Ribes There's no such thing as a healthy tan, and that's what people n

My insurance provider probably wouldn't allow me to go into a mosh pit anymore. My

brain is insured by Lloyd's of London, you know what I'm saying? CeeLo Green We want you to sit down and leave your egos at home and let's get an understanding as to where all this is foolishness coming from. There are others who are putting things out there or throwing a stick and hiding their hand and keeping things built up in the media. Afrika Bambaataa People don't like it, but inevitably we need to think about both the costs and the benefits of health care. We cannot avoid the financial consequences. Steven Levitt If we had any nerve at all, if we had any real balls as a society, or whatever you need, whatever quality you need, real character, we would make an effort to really address the wrongs in this society, righteously. Jerry Garcia Now, I'm so relaxed that I have to make myself nervous. I feel better when I'm second and third guessing myself over everything. I play with the mice in my head, all the time. John Singleton I never thought

It's amazing when you see something on T.V. for years and then you go and

see it in person. It's perspective is all different. Rush Limbaugh There's so much built-up camaraderie and sacrifice, and football is such a tough man's game. I think that's why it's so popular. That's why so many blue-collar communities and people can really feel attracted to this because it is a blue-collar struggle that football players go through. Troy Polamalu I get emotionally attached with every film I do, and that stops me from being critical. I can't fight my emotions. Dhanush I have this weird sort of Gemini thing where I can really be empathetic and a loving person. But if you piss me off, I can be one of the meanest, most sadistic people. Bill Burr I hate all the red carpet stuff. It's weird, because it's part of what's expected of you now. Richard Madden I've always been a geek, so I've always used the Internet, perhaps at first for autopromotion, as many authors do. Tatiana de Rosnay I write as a matter of

I truly believe that when a person makes a concrete decision and takes action towards

a goal that they've set, that the universe will step in and provide opportunities. Tamara Tunie The law increasing and organizing the military establishment of the United States has been nearly carried into effect, and the Army has been extensively and usefully employed during the past season. Martin Van Buren It's always hard to wrap up a series. The longer I spend with the characters, the more they become like friends. Rick Riordan We must govern from the middle, or we will not be able to govern at all. Tom Daschle You'd be surprised how addicting high self-esteem is. Fergie A conductor should guide rather than command. Riccardo Muti Hubert, a speech doesn't have to be eternal to be immortal. Muriel Humphrey Always speak the truth, think before you speak, and write it down afterwards. Lewis Carroll Life creates conditions conducive to life. Janine Benyus Old friends become bitter enemies on a sudden for toys and small offenses. Robert Burto

Theatre is about the collective imagination... Everything I use on-stage is driven by the subject

matter and what you might call the text - but that text can be anything, from a fragment of movement or music to something you see on a TV. Simon McBurney I'm active, but I just don't like being hungry or feeling like I've deprived myself. I want to enjoy life. Suki Waterhouse I love a nice cooking show. It's as aesthetically pleasing as any other thing that tempts the senses, I suppose. Janeane Garofalo I wasn't really excited about doing television, to be quite honest. Ramon Rodriguez One thing that is constantly on my iPod is India Arie - I like her a lot; I listen to her a lot. I think she is just a spectacular artist. Audra McDonald It's so funny because the roles that I've been offered in the indie film world have been similar to each other, and the roles that I've been offered in the TV world have been similar to each other, but the TV roles and the indie film roles have been completely different. Courtney Ford Don't get me w

We struggle with the right words to describe the design process at Apple. But it

is very much about designing and prototyping and making. Jonathan Ive It started to weigh on me that I was responsible for the moves that had made me successful, but I wasn't reaping the lion's share of the profits, and that was problematic for me. Frank Ocean I see all four presidential candidates, the leading four, Cruz and Trump and Sanders and Clinton, all oppose TPP. Sherrod Brown Given how unflinching his productions have been, the 44-year-old McQueen is remarkably gentle and thoughtful - so much so that he will request a moment to consider a question, and turn it around in his head to get the shape and weight of it, before answering, occasionally with an excited rush of words in response. Elvis Mitchell Too often, politics is like bad theater. The mass media simplifies stories and personalities into their most basic, digestible and familiar bits. Listeners prefer songs they have heard before, after all. Kevin Hassett I had money, but I still didn't kno