Skip to main content

To have been the first woman premier of Victoria was not only a great opportunity

but also a great chance to say to the young women of Victoria - Liberal or Labor - 'You can do it, too.'
Joan Kirner

My entire life consisted of musings, calculations, practical works, and trials. Many questions remain unanswered; many works are incomplete or unpublished. The most important things still lie ahead.
Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

I've always found a way to make my way, and now I've had the fortune of being hired by a great company - Chrysler Corporation - one of the original Big Three.
Joe Wurzelbacher

When email and the Internet came along, I never publish an email address. I just stuck with this P.O. Box address.
Adrian Tomine

I used to ride horses when I was younger. Ponies were my life. I miss being fearless.
Talulah Riley

When Jesus comes to live in our hearts, the seed of holiness is planted.
Joyce Meyer

The social sciences offer equal promise for improving human welfare; our lives can be greatly improved through a deeper understanding of individual and collective behavior. But to realize this promise, the social sciences, like the natural sciences, need to match their institutional structures to today's intellectual challenges.
Nicholas A. Christakis

I don't think there should be anything that women are embarrassed to talk about in the 21st century, because for the last 100,000 years, men have said everything that's on their minds and described everything they have done.
Caitlin Moran

Young women should realize that young men they date will not honor and respect them if they have been involved in moral transgression.
James E. Faust

By the law of Christ, every man is bound to love his neighbour as himself; but every servant is a neighbour of every civil lord; therefore every civil lord must love any of his servants as himself; but by natural instinct, every lord abhors slavery; therefore, by the law of charity, he is bound not to impose slavery on any brother in Christ.
John Wycliffe

The idea is not to please the most amount of people. Growing up in Versailles, the idea was to please the least amount of people.
Thomas Mars

Gemeoss

'The Golden Compass' became a bad experience because the studio didn't have faith in the

strength of the ideas of the novel, which is ironic because it's one of the greatest fantasy novels ever written, if not the greatest, and they took the religion out of it and tried to turn it into a popcorn movie. Chris Weitz If I feel strongly, I say it. I know I can do more good by being vocal than by staying quiet. I'd have a whole lot more money if I lied, but I wouldn't enjoy spending it. Martina Navratilova I saw Ronnie Hawkins play near my hometown, Port Dover, Ontario, and I saw him play there on New Year's Eve and the following spring I booked myself to be his opening act on maybe five shows, and he hired me after the first night. Rick Danko You sort of have to become what you're wearing. Pharrell Williams I believe in status symbols. Brooks Stevens The path that went by the little house had become a road. Almost every day Laura and Mary stopped their playing and stared in surprise at a wagon slowly creaking by on that road. Laura Ingalls W...

I really want to move away from the old model in which you have to

rely on people giving $10 after a humanitarian crisis to a newer model where people give money but also their time and their skills, whatever they have, to the causes that are personally meaningful to them well before the crisis moment presents itself. Chris Hughes At one time, I was persuaded to want to make music, and people answered me that that was not possible. Yannick Noah Soldiers of the American Revolution fought that 18th century war with heavy muskets. In the early 20th century, we kids fought it every Fourth of July not only with exploding powder and shimmering flares, but with all of our senses. Paul Engle Strength does not have to be belligerent and loud. Russell Brand You don't have to invent the wheel, but you might want to be the company that invents the rims. MC Hammer The power which money gives is that of brute force; it is the power of the bludgeon and the bayonet. William Cobbett Men need to live and breathe women. Adam Levine I am a lover ...

If we were to use the success of 'Need You Now' as the barometer for

every other song, then we'll probably be highly disappointed. That song will probably undoubtedly be the biggest song of our career. We can hopefully have success for 20 years, but we may not ever have the success of that one particular song again. Charles Kelley It is difficult to separate oneself from one's design moralities. David Chipperfield My grandmother, grandfather, my mom - we've always been driven by laughter. It's what held us together. Thanksgivings, any kind of family get-together, we usually end up in tears. Yelawolf Rebecca Black might sing like a robot, but that's just proof she has evolved beyond us. Her vocal is just a slightly exaggerated version of the robot glitch-twitch stutter that's been mainstream pop vocalese for the past 10 years or so. Rob Sheffield To survive, the GOP needs to invite people in, not shut them out. Eliot Spitzer 7 Mile is like an Ave. Back in the days it was poppin' in the summer time. Obie Trice ...

The Marines in Korea never feared 'friendly fire' or artillery coming from the South Koreans

- from their allies - like they did later in Vietnam, fighting with the South Vietnamese. The Koreans could be trusted. David Douglas Duncan Diversifying our tech talent pool is an imperative for the tech sector. More diverse engineers and entrepreneurs will bring about a new type of innovation that Silicon Valley has yet to see. Mitch Kapor I'm not harmful, just introspective. You can probably think I'm weird, but it's not harmful weird. Henry Rollins They say Einstein died while he was still trying to figure out gravity. I think I'm going to die still trying to figure out some of the things about Blink. Tom DeLonge My mother reads tarot cards, actually, but I won't let her read mine. Sam Taylor-Johnson The 'Carousel' overture has always been one of my all-time favorite pieces of music. Kelli O'Hara I try to have the motto of living life with no regrets. Matt Flynn I general don't color my stuff - I'm pretty horrible with co...

Westerners know the difference between a talker and the real deal. If Rick Perry wasn't

right to be governor of Texas, why should he be president? Dick Cheney I continued to study Math and Physics on my own, but one and a half years later I realized that I did want to be a composer, and after that I never changed my mind. Gyorgy Ligeti Your kids are going to do well in the workplace of the future if they can bring creativity, if they can bring some innovation, if they can bring some entrepreneurialism. Dalton McGuinty It wasn't until I got involved in 'Doctor Who' that I started doing dramas on television. John Barrowman Well, television is grueling. The hours are grueling, it's hard work, and there's a lot of pressure to get it done without a lot of rehearsal time. Evan Peters The natural gas industry has worked long and hard to smear Josh Fox, the director of 'Gasland,' and has failed. Jeff Goodell I was making comebacks every single year. That makes it difficult mentally. It causes a lot of stress. Marat Safin I try not ...

Of all the species of literary composition, perhaps biography is the most delightful. The attention

concentrated on one individual gives a unity to the materials of which it is composed, which is wanting in general history. Robert Hall And I can't tell you how many women from a certain age group - they would be in their 30s now, 20s and 30s - tell me about how I was their role model when they were young girls. Lindsay Wagner We went to - I guess it was a legitimate boiler room, and I sat in front of this guy who literally was on the phone with two people at once. They call it double fisting. Giovanni Ribisi I don't pity any man who does hard work worth doing. I admire him. I pity the creature who does not work, at whichever end of the social scale he may regard himself as being. Theodore Roosevelt But I'm going to be a real good boy and take it day by day and try to concentrate on what's most important to me, and that's offering women a service. John Galliano An actor remembers his first piece of published praise. It is written on his heart. Conrad...

It was impossible for me to believe that conditions in Europe could be worse than

they were in the Polish section of Chicago, and in many Italian and Irish tenements, or that any workshops could be worse than some of those I had seen in our foreign quarters. Alice Hamilton What is sad for women of my generation is that they weren't supposed to work if they had families. What were they going to do when the children are grown - watch the raindrops coming down the window pane? Jackie Kennedy In order for the artist to have a world to express he must first be situated in this world, oppressed or oppressing, resigned or rebellious, a man among men. Charles Baudelaire In matters of commerce the fault of the Dutch Is offering too little and asking too much. The French are with equal advantage content, So we clap on Dutch bottoms just twenty per cent. George Canning Money is only useful when you get rid of it. It is like the odd card in 'Old Maid'; the player who is finally left with it has lost. Evelyn Waugh Life is ten percent what happens to yo...

My father would have been spectacularly ill-suited to working for an institution of any kind,

and I suspect that, to a lesser degree, that's true of me, too. Amy Bloom Love is one of my favorite things to talk about. Every song will be about losing it or finding it, seeing a guy and not knowing if you want to tell him how you feel yet. I guess I'm a hopeless romantic. Candice Glover When I talk to film students, I always say, 'Buy the DVDs and listen to the commentaries, look at the making of, look at the behind-the-scenes,' because that's such a great learning tool. Catherine Hardwicke There's one thing I've learned about entrepreneurs' business plans. Every one is wrong. Josh Kopelman At the end of the day, I sit down for about five minutes and review all the problems I'm working on, research problems or writing problems, and I go to sleep. Then when I wake up in the morning, I've trained myself to not open my eyes and to just lie there and recall the problems and see if there's anything there. Gregory Benford It take...

History is merciless. History doesn't care if we pound our society down a rat hole.

It's up to us to make more intelligent choices about how we live! James Howard Kunstler I might not be a great athlete, but I think I'm a real good football player. Steve Largent When you're guest-starring on another show, it really requires you to jump through hoops in a way, because you're servicing the stories of the main characters. You have to be able to portray a lot of different elements. You show up and get on board and get on their journey; you have to be flexible as to what they need for the role. Kim Dickens Temptation's something you have to deal with even if you're not famous. It's harder when you're famous because it's a lot more in your face, and that makes it a little more difficult to walk away from sometimes. Denis Leary Few words in any language carry such a load of meaning as 'honor.' It is an old word, unchanged even in its spelling from classical Latin to modern English. Spoken or written, it does not seem to...

I think that reading is always active. As a writer, you can only

go so far; the reader meets you halfway, bringing his or her own experience to bear on everything you've written. What I mean is that it is not only the writer's memory that filters experience, but the reader's as well. Ruth Reichl Living as we do with a veil over our eyes, we cannot remember what it was like to be with our Heavenly Father and His Beloved Son, Jesus Christ, in the premortal world; nor can we see with our physical eyes or with reason alone the hand of God in our lives. Henry B. Eyring I imagine 'Daily Grace' as, like, your awkward older sister who tries to give you advice. Grace Helbig On the personal side, family is really important to me. I have a big family - five kids and 12 grandkids - so keeping that going is wonderful. And I do a lot of philanthropy. I'm chairman of the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. Charles Schwab I am fortunate: my parents told me the world was my oyster, when they could have said I wouldn't make it ...