Skip to main content

I have seen good nurses and bad nurses. They existed along a continuum: from hard-working,

kind and competent people, to office-hugging, bone-idle types, to apathetic, disengaged automatons.
Jo Brand

The first piece of 'long' fiction I wrote was a novella parody of Stephen King's 'Christine.' I was in high school, and my version was about a kid with a possessed locker instead of a possessed car. It was also my first attempt at humour, which fell completely flat because no one who read it realized it was a parody!
Kelley Armstrong

Many friends of mine told me that normally only guys like a kung fu movie and the girls would be turned off - they want to see a love story. But Ip Man is a family man, so the women see this and go: 'I want my husband to be like this man. He'll be a scholar, he'll be fighting, he'll care for the family.' So we had a bigger audience.
Donnie Yen

When people ask whether virtual reality will be a real thing or just the next 3D, what I always say is, 'Take a headset, walk outside, and the next person you meet, put it on them and see what the reaction is.'
Chris Milk

Only fools argue whether to eat meat or not. They don't understand truth, nor do they meditate on it. Who can define what is meat and what is plant? Who knows where the sin lies, being a vegetarian or a non-vegetarian?
Guru Nanak

I think I've been a very good student of all aspects of being in Congress. I think I'm always working hard to get an 'A.'
Xavier Becerra

I think 'accessible' just means that the reader can walk into the poem without difficulty. The poem is not, as someone put it, deflective of entry.
Billy Collins

I would be surprised if they gave Meryl Streep her third Oscar for a film as light as 'Julie and Julia,' although, of course, Katharine Hepburn's third Oscar came with a very light performance from her in 'Guess Who's Coming to Dinner.'
Robert Osborne

Being cynical isn't necessarily being negative or bitter. It's a person who is wary of mistaking love for something that it's not and getting their heart broken.
Charlyne Yi

As hard as I try to sound tough and dark, I still sound cute.
Jenny Lewis

It's rewarding to know that I have young people in the gym who have the same goals as I had, and now I can help them reach those goals.
Jaycie Phelps

Gemeoss

Literature is my Utopia. Here I am not disenfranchised. No barrier of the senses shuts

me out from the sweet, gracious discourses of my book friends. They talk to me without embarrassment or awkwardness. Helen Keller For me, unemployment and poverty in the Greater Montreal area is not mainly a problem of structure, or design, or statistics. It is a profoundly human situation. Kim Campbell Nature makes woman to be won and men to win. George William Curtis I'm pretty catholic about what constitutes science fiction. Frederik Pohl Paradise is exactly like where you are right now... only much, much better. Laurie Anderson

It was impossible for me to believe that conditions in Europe could be worse than

they were in the Polish section of Chicago, and in many Italian and Irish tenements, or that any workshops could be worse than some of those I had seen in our foreign quarters. Alice Hamilton What is sad for women of my generation is that they weren't supposed to work if they had families. What were they going to do when the children are grown - watch the raindrops coming down the window pane? Jackie Kennedy In order for the artist to have a world to express he must first be situated in this world, oppressed or oppressing, resigned or rebellious, a man among men. Charles Baudelaire In matters of commerce the fault of the Dutch Is offering too little and asking too much. The French are with equal advantage content, So we clap on Dutch bottoms just twenty per cent. George Canning Money is only useful when you get rid of it. It is like the odd card in 'Old Maid'; the player who is finally left with it has lost. Evelyn Waugh Life is ten percent what happens to yo...

If we were to use the success of 'Need You Now' as the barometer for

every other song, then we'll probably be highly disappointed. That song will probably undoubtedly be the biggest song of our career. We can hopefully have success for 20 years, but we may not ever have the success of that one particular song again. Charles Kelley It is difficult to separate oneself from one's design moralities. David Chipperfield My grandmother, grandfather, my mom - we've always been driven by laughter. It's what held us together. Thanksgivings, any kind of family get-together, we usually end up in tears. Yelawolf Rebecca Black might sing like a robot, but that's just proof she has evolved beyond us. Her vocal is just a slightly exaggerated version of the robot glitch-twitch stutter that's been mainstream pop vocalese for the past 10 years or so. Rob Sheffield To survive, the GOP needs to invite people in, not shut them out. Eliot Spitzer 7 Mile is like an Ave. Back in the days it was poppin' in the summer time. Obie Trice ...

You can give men food and leisure and amusements and good conditions of work, and

still they will remain unsatisfied. You can deny them all these things, and they will not complain so long as they feel that they have something to die for. Christopher Dawson Apart from that Mrs Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play? Tom Lehrer This is the precept by which I have lived: Prepare for the worst; expect the best; and take what comes. Hannah Arendt I will fight for my children on any level so they can reach their potential as human beings and in their public duties. Princess Diana Rarely do members of the same family grow up under the same roof. Richard Bach

Red Carpet Enterprise has been really well received since one guy can install

it in about an hour, and it makes it trivial to deal with software management issues like deploying updates and creating standard package sets for your various machines. Nat Friedman Excessive sorrow laughs. Excessive joy weeps. William Blake Morality is a test of our conformity rather than our integrity. Jane Rule We should be as careful of the books we read, as of the company we keep. The dead very often have more power than the living. Tryon Edwards Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Of all the species of literary composition, perhaps biography is the most delightful. The attention

concentrated on one individual gives a unity to the materials of which it is composed, which is wanting in general history. Robert Hall And I can't tell you how many women from a certain age group - they would be in their 30s now, 20s and 30s - tell me about how I was their role model when they were young girls. Lindsay Wagner We went to - I guess it was a legitimate boiler room, and I sat in front of this guy who literally was on the phone with two people at once. They call it double fisting. Giovanni Ribisi I don't pity any man who does hard work worth doing. I admire him. I pity the creature who does not work, at whichever end of the social scale he may regard himself as being. Theodore Roosevelt But I'm going to be a real good boy and take it day by day and try to concentrate on what's most important to me, and that's offering women a service. John Galliano An actor remembers his first piece of published praise. It is written on his heart. Conrad...

The Marines in Korea never feared 'friendly fire' or artillery coming from the South Koreans

- from their allies - like they did later in Vietnam, fighting with the South Vietnamese. The Koreans could be trusted. David Douglas Duncan Diversifying our tech talent pool is an imperative for the tech sector. More diverse engineers and entrepreneurs will bring about a new type of innovation that Silicon Valley has yet to see. Mitch Kapor I'm not harmful, just introspective. You can probably think I'm weird, but it's not harmful weird. Henry Rollins They say Einstein died while he was still trying to figure out gravity. I think I'm going to die still trying to figure out some of the things about Blink. Tom DeLonge My mother reads tarot cards, actually, but I won't let her read mine. Sam Taylor-Johnson The 'Carousel' overture has always been one of my all-time favorite pieces of music. Kelli O'Hara I try to have the motto of living life with no regrets. Matt Flynn I general don't color my stuff - I'm pretty horrible with co...

Well, number one I like dancing. Number two I knew it would be

challenging because I had never done this type of dance before. I always wanted to and I happened to have the courage to go out there and give it my best shot. Evander Holyfield Take pleasure in your dreams; relish your principles and drape your purest feelings on the heart of a precious lover. Giotto di Bondone It is guaranteed to put all teeth on edge, including George Washington's, wherever they might be. Vincent Canby Time is what prevents everything from happening at once. John Archibald Wheeler I never had a policy; I have just tried to do my very best each and every day. Abraham Lincoln

The two sensibilities, the visual and the verbal, have always been linked for me -

in fact, while reading a particularly evocative passage, I will imagine what the photograph I'd take of that scene would look like, even with burning and dodging notes. Maybe everyone does this. Sally Mann Hip-hop is the people. What the people are moving toward is what hip-hop is. I think people are moving toward a freer way of thinking. Openness. Erykah Badu I can't work in an environment where it's a stiff hierarchy; that's not my kind of way. Steven Rodney McQueen Tapas is a celebration of life. Jose Andres Everything I've written is based on something that has happened to me or something that I know a great deal about. Peter Benchley It was great being brought up in a Glasgow working-class tenement. It wasn't miserable, and it wasn't poverty stricken. It felt very safe, full of delights. Peter Capaldi The full thing is God-given. I don't know how I got my swing or what I did. I know I worked every single day. I know I did as much a...

I don't know the accident of still being married. I was the worst human being.

But we were, I guess, in love. So much has happened to us to bring us together and keep us together. Shelley Berman My first time overseas was taking 10,000 tons of beer to Vietnam. John F. Kelly In the beginning, I was riddled with major complexes about my looks. Even now, here and there, these complexes crop up. But as the days progressed, I learnt to handle them much better. Dhanush A lot of times, I don't want to listen to my stuff, because I'm thinking maybe I didn't do my best. Darius Rucker I don't feel that I'm particularly political. I'm interested in politics; I'll express my view if I feel strongly about something, but humanitarian issues, I think, are slightly different. Gary Lineker I was never drawn just into fashion. I was drawn into it because I am really interested in serving women and providing women with solutions, trying to figure out what we need and why we need that and why we wear stuff, how it makes us feel. That was al...