Skip to main content

Time management is an oxymoron. Time is beyond our control, and the clock keeps ticking

regardless of how we lead our lives. Priority management is the answer to maximizing the time we have.
John C. Maxwell

I think it can be really powerful, and one of the reasons I love making films is I do feel they can reach beyond the statistics and the numbers and the complexities of a particular issue and really highlight the humanity in a way that an article or newspaper story might not be able to do.
Rory Kennedy

Industrialization of the building trade is a question of material. Hence the demand for a new building material is the first prerequisite.
Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

We often hear of a male director directing a great indie and immediately being offered the next huge comic book movie. Rarely, if ever, does this happen to a woman.
Lesli Linka Glatter

I never get tired of performing to people who want to hear me. Hell, that's my handshake to the world. I'm doing just what I've wanted to do since that day I was 15 and heard Lenny Breau play the guitar.
Randy Bachman

All of my education at Harvard, then Oxford, then Paris was in literature - even my thesis was on Shakespeare.
Jonathan Kozol

I've consciously taken on material that's a bit too much for me but not an overreach. The first movie, just about performances. 'The Town,' I learned how to work broader material, develop tension, direct bigger scenes, action sequences. 'Argo,' I experimented with film stock, widened the scope of my geography.
Ben Affleck

We have lost close friends and relatives to cancer and Parkinson's disease, and the level of personal suffering inflicted on patients and their families by these diseases is horrific.
Peter Jackson

Personally, I'm not into reality shows - I can't even name a reality show that I was a really big fan of, altogether as a whole, not just from MTV. Like, if ABC has another reality show, I'm like, 'Oh God, another reality show.' But people love them. 'The Hills', 'Laguna Beach'... those do extremely well. It's just a personal preference.
Damien Fahey

I'm only interested in science fiction that's used as a literary device, a shortcut into something more exploratory or universal about our experience. That's why I think it was invented and why mythology was invented; it's a tool, not an end to itself.
Shane Carruth

Shakespeare teaches you how to act. You come out of this process as a better actor. It's just the nature of the words he writes.
Condola Rashad

Gemeoss

'The Golden Compass' became a bad experience because the studio didn't have faith in the

strength of the ideas of the novel, which is ironic because it's one of the greatest fantasy novels ever written, if not the greatest, and they took the religion out of it and tried to turn it into a popcorn movie. Chris Weitz If I feel strongly, I say it. I know I can do more good by being vocal than by staying quiet. I'd have a whole lot more money if I lied, but I wouldn't enjoy spending it. Martina Navratilova I saw Ronnie Hawkins play near my hometown, Port Dover, Ontario, and I saw him play there on New Year's Eve and the following spring I booked myself to be his opening act on maybe five shows, and he hired me after the first night. Rick Danko You sort of have to become what you're wearing. Pharrell Williams I believe in status symbols. Brooks Stevens The path that went by the little house had become a road. Almost every day Laura and Mary stopped their playing and stared in surprise at a wagon slowly creaking by on that road. Laura Ingalls W...

'No Child Left Behind' requires states and school districts to ensure that all

students are learning and are reaching their highest potential. Special education students should not be left out of these accountability mechanisms. Dianne Feinstein You couldn't have done this without killing an Arab prince. Michael Scheuer I'm a horrible public speaker. Bill Condon Both mind and heart when given up to reveries and dreaminess, have a thousand avenues open for the entrance of evil. Charles Simmons The last suit that you wear, you don't need any pockets. Wayne Dyer It is great wealth to a soul to live frugally with a contented mind. Lucretius How can you practice dancing in an airplane? There's a law against it. George Murphy

I really want to move away from the old model in which you have to

rely on people giving $10 after a humanitarian crisis to a newer model where people give money but also their time and their skills, whatever they have, to the causes that are personally meaningful to them well before the crisis moment presents itself. Chris Hughes At one time, I was persuaded to want to make music, and people answered me that that was not possible. Yannick Noah Soldiers of the American Revolution fought that 18th century war with heavy muskets. In the early 20th century, we kids fought it every Fourth of July not only with exploding powder and shimmering flares, but with all of our senses. Paul Engle Strength does not have to be belligerent and loud. Russell Brand You don't have to invent the wheel, but you might want to be the company that invents the rims. MC Hammer The power which money gives is that of brute force; it is the power of the bludgeon and the bayonet. William Cobbett Men need to live and breathe women. Adam Levine I am a lover ...

I made a Christmas album a couple of years ago and just put it out

on my Web site. It kind of smacked of this flavor. All of the reviews said it was Western swing even when it was Christmas standards. Suzy Bogguss Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown. William Shakespeare To be a good draftsman was to me a blessing. John James Audubon As you get older three things happen. The first is your memory goes, and I can't remember the other two. Norman Wisdom Love is the great miracle cure. Loving ourselves works miracles in our lives. Louise L. Hay We have two evils to fight, capitalism and racism. We must destroy both racism and capitalism. Huey Newton Talk ought always to run obliquely, not nose to nose with no chance of mental escape. Frank Moore Colby

If we were to use the success of 'Need You Now' as the barometer for

every other song, then we'll probably be highly disappointed. That song will probably undoubtedly be the biggest song of our career. We can hopefully have success for 20 years, but we may not ever have the success of that one particular song again. Charles Kelley It is difficult to separate oneself from one's design moralities. David Chipperfield My grandmother, grandfather, my mom - we've always been driven by laughter. It's what held us together. Thanksgivings, any kind of family get-together, we usually end up in tears. Yelawolf Rebecca Black might sing like a robot, but that's just proof she has evolved beyond us. Her vocal is just a slightly exaggerated version of the robot glitch-twitch stutter that's been mainstream pop vocalese for the past 10 years or so. Rob Sheffield To survive, the GOP needs to invite people in, not shut them out. Eliot Spitzer 7 Mile is like an Ave. Back in the days it was poppin' in the summer time. Obie Trice ...

That's where I got my start and where I'll continue to work, but I can't

tell you the number of films between Drugstore Cowboy and Curly Sue that I auditioned for and wanted that didn't choose me. Kelly Lynch I haven't spoken English with native speakers in several months. I've been speaking Arabic. John Walker Lindh Today you can't go by the titles of the shows to know what the content of the show may be. Donna Douglas It hinders the creative work of the mind if the intellect examines too closely the ideas as they pour in. Friedrich Schiller We create our own unhappiness. The purpose of suffering is to help us understand we are the ones who cause it. Willie Nelson We all want peace. Unfortunately, there are times when peace must be defended by fighting terror and tyranny. James H. Douglas, Jr. It is hard to say why politicians are called servants, unless it is because a good one is hard to find. Gerald F. Lieberman

The keystone of the Fascist doctrine is its conception of the State, of its essence,

its functions, and its aims. For Fascism the State is absolute, individuals and groups relative. Benito Mussolini I don't think aggression works like thirst or sleep. I think aggression is more elicited by particular situations. I think it can be mitigated. Steven Pinker I'm the son of a pediatrician, and I do believe that the most important resource we have is our kids. And I think the most important thing for America's future is to invest more in our children. Ezekiel Emanuel People love cliches. If you can give people cliches, that's very good TV, then. Michael Hirst Each generation should be made to bear the burden of its own wars, instead of carrying them on, at the expense of other generations. James Madison If you ask around, it's pretty easy to find someone who has a bank account overdraft horror story to tell. Carolyn Maloney I don't think it's possible to have a wedding without it being stressful! Debra Messing I come from a ru...

In narrative cinema, a certain terminology has already been established: 'film noir,' 'Western,'

even 'Spaghetti Western.' When we say 'film noir' we know what we are talking about. But in non-narrative cinema, we are a little bit lost. So sometimes, the only way to make us understand what we are talking about is to use the term 'avant-garde.' Jonas Mekas I was a good student - a geek, really - editor of the school paper, thought I was going to go to university. Birgitte Hjort Sorensen There are always certain things that you tap into, your own personal experiences, and I try to base my characters on someone I know or someone I've seen. Stephen Graham Doing designs on a loom takes a lot of talent and experience, and, trust me, I won't be able to do that. Liya Kebede Lots of male friendships begin as a cheeky snog. Or a little undercurrent of flirtation. Kate Winslet There's no happier person than a truly thankful, content person. Joyce Meyer Once you realize just the sort of glut of books that exists out there, it does become i...

It was impossible for me to believe that conditions in Europe could be worse than

they were in the Polish section of Chicago, and in many Italian and Irish tenements, or that any workshops could be worse than some of those I had seen in our foreign quarters. Alice Hamilton What is sad for women of my generation is that they weren't supposed to work if they had families. What were they going to do when the children are grown - watch the raindrops coming down the window pane? Jackie Kennedy In order for the artist to have a world to express he must first be situated in this world, oppressed or oppressing, resigned or rebellious, a man among men. Charles Baudelaire In matters of commerce the fault of the Dutch Is offering too little and asking too much. The French are with equal advantage content, So we clap on Dutch bottoms just twenty per cent. George Canning Money is only useful when you get rid of it. It is like the odd card in 'Old Maid'; the player who is finally left with it has lost. Evelyn Waugh Life is ten percent what happens to yo...

I think that reading is always active. As a writer, you can only

go so far; the reader meets you halfway, bringing his or her own experience to bear on everything you've written. What I mean is that it is not only the writer's memory that filters experience, but the reader's as well. Ruth Reichl Living as we do with a veil over our eyes, we cannot remember what it was like to be with our Heavenly Father and His Beloved Son, Jesus Christ, in the premortal world; nor can we see with our physical eyes or with reason alone the hand of God in our lives. Henry B. Eyring I imagine 'Daily Grace' as, like, your awkward older sister who tries to give you advice. Grace Helbig On the personal side, family is really important to me. I have a big family - five kids and 12 grandkids - so keeping that going is wonderful. And I do a lot of philanthropy. I'm chairman of the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. Charles Schwab I am fortunate: my parents told me the world was my oyster, when they could have said I wouldn't make it ...