Skip to main content

I consider the electric guitar to be like a drum with strings. It became the

drum of the Baby Boom generation. And the drum has always been the center of the tribe, a new electronic tribe.
John Trudell

I've come to realize that an unencumbered U.S. senator is a profound threat to the whole system. It's somebody that they can't put in a box and say, 'Oh, well, we know how this guy is going to vote.'
Angus King

The feeling of longing for home is born into us. That wonderful dream cannot become real without great faith - enough for the Holy Ghost to lead us to repentance, baptism, and the making and keeping of sacred covenants with God. This faith requires enduring bravely the trials of mortal life.
Henry B. Eyring

I never really think about what I have to do to stick to my image. I just follow what I like to do. Sometimes it's glamorous, sometimes it's not.
Isabella Rossellini

You know, I would say that songwriting is something about the expression of the heart, the intellect and the soul.
Annie Lennox

When I designed my first house in L.A., I didn't have any money - I did it all on my own. I liked that.
L'Wren Scott

Good movies are what I wait my whole life for.
Samuel Goldwyn, Jr.

After building most of Mint.com's prototype by myself, I talked to anyone and everyone I knew about Mint. It's counter-intuitive, because you might fear someone will steal your idea, but it's the only way to make connections, be sure you're on the right track, and provide a solution for an audience broader than yourself.
Aaron Patzer

My dad had a temper. I have a temper. Most people I know have a temper. And I think it comes out mostly with your family. I don't think it's unique to the Buscemis, but it's something I've been able to tap into when I play certain roles.
Steve Buscemi

I promised a lot of people I'd slow down when I turned 80.
Frank Gehry

Because the Internet's there, I have access to a lot of the legends, like Fela Kuti. I used to watch a lot of Fela Kuti videos, just to see how he performed. He inspired me a lot, actually, because he was a man of many words, many good words.
King Krule

Gemeoss

'The Golden Compass' became a bad experience because the studio didn't have faith in the

strength of the ideas of the novel, which is ironic because it's one of the greatest fantasy novels ever written, if not the greatest, and they took the religion out of it and tried to turn it into a popcorn movie. Chris Weitz If I feel strongly, I say it. I know I can do more good by being vocal than by staying quiet. I'd have a whole lot more money if I lied, but I wouldn't enjoy spending it. Martina Navratilova I saw Ronnie Hawkins play near my hometown, Port Dover, Ontario, and I saw him play there on New Year's Eve and the following spring I booked myself to be his opening act on maybe five shows, and he hired me after the first night. Rick Danko You sort of have to become what you're wearing. Pharrell Williams I believe in status symbols. Brooks Stevens The path that went by the little house had become a road. Almost every day Laura and Mary stopped their playing and stared in surprise at a wagon slowly creaking by on that road. Laura Ingalls W...

I really want to move away from the old model in which you have to

rely on people giving $10 after a humanitarian crisis to a newer model where people give money but also their time and their skills, whatever they have, to the causes that are personally meaningful to them well before the crisis moment presents itself. Chris Hughes At one time, I was persuaded to want to make music, and people answered me that that was not possible. Yannick Noah Soldiers of the American Revolution fought that 18th century war with heavy muskets. In the early 20th century, we kids fought it every Fourth of July not only with exploding powder and shimmering flares, but with all of our senses. Paul Engle Strength does not have to be belligerent and loud. Russell Brand You don't have to invent the wheel, but you might want to be the company that invents the rims. MC Hammer The power which money gives is that of brute force; it is the power of the bludgeon and the bayonet. William Cobbett Men need to live and breathe women. Adam Levine I am a lover ...

If we were to use the success of 'Need You Now' as the barometer for

every other song, then we'll probably be highly disappointed. That song will probably undoubtedly be the biggest song of our career. We can hopefully have success for 20 years, but we may not ever have the success of that one particular song again. Charles Kelley It is difficult to separate oneself from one's design moralities. David Chipperfield My grandmother, grandfather, my mom - we've always been driven by laughter. It's what held us together. Thanksgivings, any kind of family get-together, we usually end up in tears. Yelawolf Rebecca Black might sing like a robot, but that's just proof she has evolved beyond us. Her vocal is just a slightly exaggerated version of the robot glitch-twitch stutter that's been mainstream pop vocalese for the past 10 years or so. Rob Sheffield To survive, the GOP needs to invite people in, not shut them out. Eliot Spitzer 7 Mile is like an Ave. Back in the days it was poppin' in the summer time. Obie Trice ...

'No Child Left Behind' requires states and school districts to ensure that all

students are learning and are reaching their highest potential. Special education students should not be left out of these accountability mechanisms. Dianne Feinstein You couldn't have done this without killing an Arab prince. Michael Scheuer I'm a horrible public speaker. Bill Condon Both mind and heart when given up to reveries and dreaminess, have a thousand avenues open for the entrance of evil. Charles Simmons The last suit that you wear, you don't need any pockets. Wayne Dyer It is great wealth to a soul to live frugally with a contented mind. Lucretius How can you practice dancing in an airplane? There's a law against it. George Murphy

Westerners know the difference between a talker and the real deal. If Rick Perry wasn't

right to be governor of Texas, why should he be president? Dick Cheney I continued to study Math and Physics on my own, but one and a half years later I realized that I did want to be a composer, and after that I never changed my mind. Gyorgy Ligeti Your kids are going to do well in the workplace of the future if they can bring creativity, if they can bring some innovation, if they can bring some entrepreneurialism. Dalton McGuinty It wasn't until I got involved in 'Doctor Who' that I started doing dramas on television. John Barrowman Well, television is grueling. The hours are grueling, it's hard work, and there's a lot of pressure to get it done without a lot of rehearsal time. Evan Peters The natural gas industry has worked long and hard to smear Josh Fox, the director of 'Gasland,' and has failed. Jeff Goodell I was making comebacks every single year. That makes it difficult mentally. It causes a lot of stress. Marat Safin I try not ...

Here at home, when Americans were standing in long lines to give blood after the

attack on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, we squandered an obvious opportunity to make service a noble cause again, and rekindle an American spirit of community. Joe Biden Redistribution of wealth would require enormous amounts of investment. The only time an elite has accepted this has been during crises, such as in America in the 1930s under Roosevelt. Susan George There is a shortage of teachers but the January 2001 schools census showed that teacher numbers were at their highest level than at any time since 1984 - and 11,000 higher than 1997. Estelle Morris What is a diary as a rule? A document useful to the person who keeps it. Dull to the contemporary who reads it and invaluable to the student, centuries afterwards, who treasures it. Walter Scott If you were to open up a baby's head - and I am not for a moment suggesting that you should - you would find nothing but an enormous drool gland. Dave Barry All the books I have written have been one book, fro...

First of all, this whole idea of this one percent versus the 99 percent, it's

a false statistic. There's nobody that is wealthy saying, let's go get the people that aren't. First of all, there's no versus. He's creating a false class warfare in a country where there is no class structure. Jon Lovitz I kind of cherish at least the idea of Midwestern candor and openness. But I couldn't live there. James Polshek There is nothing deep down inside us except what we have put there ourselves. Richard Rorty The dependence of one people upon another, even for the benefits of legislation, is the deepest source of national weakness. Thomas Francis Meagher As actors we give so much of ourselves away so I like to keep my personal life to myself. Teresa Palmer If you only ever heard Lady Gaga, she's the most boring singer in the world. Simon Cowell When I was a child, I saw my father diving to the deepest point in the ocean with the U.S. Navy. Bertrand Piccard I want to live in a place where strangers rush to help someone in di...

The keystone of the Fascist doctrine is its conception of the State, of its essence,

its functions, and its aims. For Fascism the State is absolute, individuals and groups relative. Benito Mussolini I don't think aggression works like thirst or sleep. I think aggression is more elicited by particular situations. I think it can be mitigated. Steven Pinker I'm the son of a pediatrician, and I do believe that the most important resource we have is our kids. And I think the most important thing for America's future is to invest more in our children. Ezekiel Emanuel People love cliches. If you can give people cliches, that's very good TV, then. Michael Hirst Each generation should be made to bear the burden of its own wars, instead of carrying them on, at the expense of other generations. James Madison If you ask around, it's pretty easy to find someone who has a bank account overdraft horror story to tell. Carolyn Maloney I don't think it's possible to have a wedding without it being stressful! Debra Messing I come from a ru...

I made a Christmas album a couple of years ago and just put it out

on my Web site. It kind of smacked of this flavor. All of the reviews said it was Western swing even when it was Christmas standards. Suzy Bogguss Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown. William Shakespeare To be a good draftsman was to me a blessing. John James Audubon As you get older three things happen. The first is your memory goes, and I can't remember the other two. Norman Wisdom Love is the great miracle cure. Loving ourselves works miracles in our lives. Louise L. Hay We have two evils to fight, capitalism and racism. We must destroy both racism and capitalism. Huey Newton Talk ought always to run obliquely, not nose to nose with no chance of mental escape. Frank Moore Colby

It was impossible for me to believe that conditions in Europe could be worse than

they were in the Polish section of Chicago, and in many Italian and Irish tenements, or that any workshops could be worse than some of those I had seen in our foreign quarters. Alice Hamilton What is sad for women of my generation is that they weren't supposed to work if they had families. What were they going to do when the children are grown - watch the raindrops coming down the window pane? Jackie Kennedy In order for the artist to have a world to express he must first be situated in this world, oppressed or oppressing, resigned or rebellious, a man among men. Charles Baudelaire In matters of commerce the fault of the Dutch Is offering too little and asking too much. The French are with equal advantage content, So we clap on Dutch bottoms just twenty per cent. George Canning Money is only useful when you get rid of it. It is like the odd card in 'Old Maid'; the player who is finally left with it has lost. Evelyn Waugh Life is ten percent what happens to yo...