Skip to main content

I also want to draw attention to the responsibilities that people have to live up

to their election promises and to live up to the votes that were cast by the people of Wales, in the General Election, in the expectation that we would deliver this promise.
Ron Davies

I think young writers should get other degrees first, social sciences, arts degrees or even business degrees. What you learn is research skills, a necessity because a lot of writing is about trying to find information.
Irvine Welsh

I'm very moved by chaos theory, and that sense of energy. That quantum physics. We don't really, in Hindu tradition, have a father figure of a God. It's about cosmic energy, a little spark of which is inside every individual as the soul.
Bharati Mukherjee

What I tell these young people is, the world is not as dangerous as the older generation would like you to believe. Anyone I know who has ever taken a risk and lost a job has ended up getting a better one two years later.
Jonathan Kozol

No matter how many people tell you, Save your money, when you've got a series, you never do. Somehow it doesn't seem important. Maybe it's because you've been without money for so long as an actor.
David Morse

There was a whole display set up of all the X-Men paraphernalia. My wife couldn't resist telling this 5-year-old boy that I was Wolverine. The little kid looked up at me and he was staring at me.
Hugh Jackman

The moment you enlist in the army of God, you personally become a target. You need to remember that if you're living for and walking with Jesus Christ, the powers of darkness are aligned against you.
Walter Martin

Gemeoss

I don't know the accident of still being married. I was the worst human being.

But we were, I guess, in love. So much has happened to us to bring us together and keep us together. Shelley Berman My first time overseas was taking 10,000 tons of beer to Vietnam. John F. Kelly In the beginning, I was riddled with major complexes about my looks. Even now, here and there, these complexes crop up. But as the days progressed, I learnt to handle them much better. Dhanush A lot of times, I don't want to listen to my stuff, because I'm thinking maybe I didn't do my best. Darius Rucker I don't feel that I'm particularly political. I'm interested in politics; I'll express my view if I feel strongly about something, but humanitarian issues, I think, are slightly different. Gary Lineker I was never drawn just into fashion. I was drawn into it because I am really interested in serving women and providing women with solutions, trying to figure out what we need and why we need that and why we wear stuff, how it makes us feel. That was al...

I love meeting new people. I have been so lucky to meet some of my

closest friends on set like James Gunn, Nathan Fillion, and Aly Michalka. Mikaela Hoover Passover is the most widely observed of all the Jewish holidays, and the Passover Seder... is the most practiced of all the Jewish rituals. Gil Marks For 'For Real,' where I play a singer who has to give up her passion for her husband and family, I practised singing for hours, in bathroom, in subways, though I am tone deaf. Sarita Choudhury I think it's not about what you say; it's about what you don't say. Shawn Mendes In Brooklyn, all the kids call me the 'Willy Wonka of the Hood.' Jidenna I learned to write crime novels by reading people I hoped to emulate: people like James Lee Burke, Lawrence Block, Joseph Wambaugh, and Sue Grafton. Michael Connelly For my part, I would say that the male sperm and seeds of plants have been penetrated so far that there is nothing further to discover in this great secret, but I could err in my opinion. Antonie van L...

Is the minor convenience of allowing the present generation the luxury of doubling

its energy consumption every 10 years worth the major hazard of exposing the next 20,000 generations to this lethal waste? David R. Brower The democracy process provides for political and social change without violence. Aung San Suu Kyi The difference between an author and a horse is that the horse doesn't understand the horse dealer's language. Max Frisch When widows exclaim loudly against second marriages, I would always lay a wager than the man, If not the wedding day, is absolutely fixed on. Henry Fielding Men still have to be governed by deception. Georg C. Lichtenberg

Red Carpet Enterprise has been really well received since one guy can install

it in about an hour, and it makes it trivial to deal with software management issues like deploying updates and creating standard package sets for your various machines. Nat Friedman Excessive sorrow laughs. Excessive joy weeps. William Blake Morality is a test of our conformity rather than our integrity. Jane Rule We should be as careful of the books we read, as of the company we keep. The dead very often have more power than the living. Tryon Edwards Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door. Ralph Waldo Emerson

You can give men food and leisure and amusements and good conditions of work, and

still they will remain unsatisfied. You can deny them all these things, and they will not complain so long as they feel that they have something to die for. Christopher Dawson Apart from that Mrs Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play? Tom Lehrer This is the precept by which I have lived: Prepare for the worst; expect the best; and take what comes. Hannah Arendt I will fight for my children on any level so they can reach their potential as human beings and in their public duties. Princess Diana Rarely do members of the same family grow up under the same roof. Richard Bach

I think that reading is always active. As a writer, you can only

go so far; the reader meets you halfway, bringing his or her own experience to bear on everything you've written. What I mean is that it is not only the writer's memory that filters experience, but the reader's as well. Ruth Reichl Living as we do with a veil over our eyes, we cannot remember what it was like to be with our Heavenly Father and His Beloved Son, Jesus Christ, in the premortal world; nor can we see with our physical eyes or with reason alone the hand of God in our lives. Henry B. Eyring I imagine 'Daily Grace' as, like, your awkward older sister who tries to give you advice. Grace Helbig On the personal side, family is really important to me. I have a big family - five kids and 12 grandkids - so keeping that going is wonderful. And I do a lot of philanthropy. I'm chairman of the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. Charles Schwab I am fortunate: my parents told me the world was my oyster, when they could have said I wouldn't make it ...

I was interested in the idea of celebrity... some very untalented people getting very successful

and making a lot of money for not a lot of work, sometimes. David Thewlis I rented a house in Favignana, off the coast of Sicily, in the mid or late '90s. There was a revolving door of visiting friends and family - we played games, painted our faces, went swimming naked, cooked big meals, rode around on motorini, and had great cappuccinos. Amber Valletta I used to say my biggest accomplishment was just getting drafted, whether it was the first pick or the 100th or whatever. Allen Iverson There are very few distinctions between el bueno and el malo en la prision militar. Instead of the good and the bad, there is the boring and la repeticion - the repetitive. The routine is as endless as it is numbing. Chelsea Manning I'm thankful for each and every day. We never know when time is up. Chuck Berry When I was a struggling actor, I worked for a party company. One of my friends from school was working for an advertising agency, and I turned up to one of his company...

I've always been a fan of Saint Laurent because I like how their jeans fit

on me, but as far as high fashion, I don't wear too much high fashion. I like more streetwear and baggier stuff. Tyga I'm tortured because I care. I'm always upset about not doing things as good as I think I could have because I care. Shawn Mendes I'm not here to judge Mike Tyson. I'm not here to judge nobody. I'm not here to monitor no other fighters. I respect him for what he did in the sport of boxing. He was an entertainer. Floyd Mayweather, Jr. You cannot negotiate with organizations that are based on an ideology whose core is to destroy the West and America. Ryan Zinke I sometimes joke that I can take personal responsibility for saving one million human relationships. Jaan Tallinn Don't get me wrong: there are some fantastic people who work at British Cycling who kept me together, who were there when I was struggling with it all. They were walking the same tightrope in many ways, because if you do speak up, your days are numbered. Victo...

Well, number one I like dancing. Number two I knew it would be

challenging because I had never done this type of dance before. I always wanted to and I happened to have the courage to go out there and give it my best shot. Evander Holyfield Take pleasure in your dreams; relish your principles and drape your purest feelings on the heart of a precious lover. Giotto di Bondone It is guaranteed to put all teeth on edge, including George Washington's, wherever they might be. Vincent Canby Time is what prevents everything from happening at once. John Archibald Wheeler I never had a policy; I have just tried to do my very best each and every day. Abraham Lincoln

It was impossible for me to believe that conditions in Europe could be worse than

they were in the Polish section of Chicago, and in many Italian and Irish tenements, or that any workshops could be worse than some of those I had seen in our foreign quarters. Alice Hamilton What is sad for women of my generation is that they weren't supposed to work if they had families. What were they going to do when the children are grown - watch the raindrops coming down the window pane? Jackie Kennedy In order for the artist to have a world to express he must first be situated in this world, oppressed or oppressing, resigned or rebellious, a man among men. Charles Baudelaire In matters of commerce the fault of the Dutch Is offering too little and asking too much. The French are with equal advantage content, So we clap on Dutch bottoms just twenty per cent. George Canning Money is only useful when you get rid of it. It is like the odd card in 'Old Maid'; the player who is finally left with it has lost. Evelyn Waugh Life is ten percent what happens to yo...