Skip to main content

There's been a progression in my sound.Carly Rae JepsenOne thing led to another and I

didn't have to take tickets any more because I now worked for Mr. Rogers. He said if I was going to take care of his horses than I'd better learn how to ride. He was very kind to me.
Glenn Ford

When I was 21 I stopped and got married. I tried for a while to be the perfect wife, society this, society that but it wasn't working, so after about a year I went back to work.
Pia Zadora

I don't ever work in a way where something is an illustration of an event, but when something is occurring at the same time I see it as very informed by that.
Julie Mehretu

In this world of change, nothing which comes stays, and nothing which goes is lost.
Sophie Swetchine

My mother always taught me to wear clothes for myself and not to follow trends as trends will end!
Lela Rose

I provide the bricks and mortar with the words and situations - the director and the actors and the designers build the house.
Eric Bogosian

Casting is everything. If you get the right people they make you look good.
Todd Solondz

We should change the current economic system dominated by big business groups to a one where small and medium-sized enterprises develop together.
Park Geun-hye

Gemeoss

People don't want to have to justify their privileges; they don't want to have to

justify having access to the power and resource that wealth brings. And by not talking about it, they are able to hold onto their power without being questioned, and I think that makes them feel more secure. Jamie Johnson The problem is that television executives have got it into their heads that if one presenter on a show is a blonde-haired, blue-eyed heterosexual boy, the other must be a either black gay or a lesbian. Chalk and cheese, they reckon, works. Jeremy Clarkson The first person besides my mother who believed in me was a man whose last name I never knew. He was my boss, the manager of Swenson's Ice Cream shop. Mona Simpson After qualifying for a B.Sc. in pharmacology, I spent a few months in Sheffield University as a research worker in the pharmacology department but then went back to Oxford to the Nuffield Institute for Medical Research in order to study for a D. Phil. with Dr. Geoffrey Dawes. John Vane It's interesting - years ago, I had such bad stage

To anger female voters in America is to tread on the tiger's tail. Women turn

out in huge numbers, and they are well aware of how their bodies work and what they need. Henry Rollins We have to be bold in our national ambitions. First, we must win the fight against poverty within the next decade. Second, we must improve moral standards in government and society to provide a strong foundation for good governance. Third, we must change the character of our politics to promote fertile ground for reforms. Gloria Macapagal Arroyo Conflict is always fun to play. Autumn Reeser I'm really a normal person. Dakota Johnson Growing up as a child actress, there was much I got to do and yet so much that I missed out on. Therefore, when I had kids, I made it a point to make sure that they could do anything and everything that they dreamed of. A great education was definitely right at top of my list! Kim Richards I did vote Obama. But I've never believed in the authenticity of the two-party system. Marilyn Manson Sailing is a big outlet for me. It's

The vast majority of people who speak to me say they have had brilliant care.

When they are critical, their concern tends not to be directed at the medical side but the ancillary things that surround it, such as helping patients to eat meals, cleanliness, and making sure that when patients have a problem, they are listened to. Andrew Lansley When I first became recognizable from appearing on television, I abused my notoriety as much as I possibly could, at the expense of both my health and personal relationships. Steve-O I am used to wrangling crocodiles. Bindi Irwin I have learned that I am a one-woman man. Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu A lot of my literature deals with these people who are somehow magnetic because they have that ability to step over lines. Sarah Hall I think that the destructive element is too much neglected in art. Piet Mondrian In Georgia, apparently, men are men and women are women - at least in their folk dance. Robert Gottlieb I'm the third or fourth generation of actor in my family; I'm sure if they were butche

I know from my own experience and from other

people in the business that when you come from a place where nobody knew who you were and then there is this sudden shift to where everybody now knows who you are, there's an adjustment that you have to make. Kristen Wiig The Four Seasons was making me popular in Britain, but EMI America had no interest in making that happen in the States, so I just had a classical career there. Nigel Kennedy I think I sort of blossomed, so to speak, around 17. I started to get hips and put on weight, which I was very happy about. And that's when I met this agent, who told me I had to lose 10 pounds. I said, 'You've got to be kidding me. I finally got it on - I'm not losing it!' Tricia Helfer I'm just taking one match at a time. Caroline Wozniacki I like to sing along to Annie Lennox and pretend to be as sassy as her. Sophie Thompson Let's be real: It's just TV; it's just entertainment. Chi McBride No plan survives contact with the enemy. Tommy

The POW camps of North Vietnam were packed with Air Force and Naval Academy graduates.

The six midshipmen in my Naval Academy class of 1968 who served as liaisons between the Marine Corps and the Brigade of Midshipmen later suffered nine Purple Hearts in Vietnam, and one man killed in action. Jim Webb I was a book lover from the beginning. I loved, love, words and images and ideas, the ways a book can make you feel things deeply or help you understand something you never even knew there were words for. Deb Caletti Men think we can't do two things at once. They can't, but we can. Women are more resilient. Dina Merrill I think I'm an artistic radical, and I think I'll be recognized as one. I'm a really good musician and a songwriter, but I think my real legacy will be as a radical. Billy Corgan I had a somewhat religious upbringing. Not strict, but it was there, and I'm kind of thankful for that. If you grow up just watching MTV, that's its own form of religion, and it's not even based on happiness or communal responsibility. I m

Someone who'll bring some normalcy into my life and help me stay in touch with

reality. That is something I'm curious about. There are so many actors who are married to people from non-film backgrounds, and their marriages are successful. I'm tired of dating actresses. Shahid Kapoor I'm just trying to get rid of all the mystery surrounding me and let people see what I'm thinking. So they can understand me and stop assuming things about me. Juliana Hatfield More people would recognise me in Kingston, but it's rare to go on the road and not get recognised by someone. The problem now is everyone has a camera in their pocket, on their cell phone - at the airport it's difficult to get from point A to point B without taking half an hour because there are so many people taking pictures. Damian Marley It is so important to allow children to bloom and to be driven by their curiosity. May-Britt Moser In the end, as a leader, you are always going to get a combination of two things: what you create and what you allow. Henry Cloud From t

The more consciously democratic Americans became, however, the less

they were satisfied with a conception of the Promised Land, which went no farther than a pervasive economic prosperity guaranteed by free institutions. Herbert Croly The Tea Party was born out of the disgust many Americans felt early in the financial crisis upon learning that the federal government was even contemplating reducing the principal on some troubled mortgages. Mark Zandi For a long time I thought I could deal with my anger and hostility on my own. But I couldn't. I denied that it had affected me, and yet I was so frantic on the inside with other people: I needed to be constantly reassured. Kelly McGillis When I first got into the league, I tried to fit in. Now I don't care. Dwyane Wade Art is good, bad, boring, ugly, useful to us or not. Jerry Saltz Regis and I were inducted into the original Bronx Walk of Fame. Robert Klein I'd have to say Bali's my favorite place that I've visited. Christopher Meloni I don't know why people are

When you see the films of certain young directors, you get the impression that film

history begins for them around 1980. Jacques Rivette The most famous person in my phone is Lindsay Lohan. We starred in 'Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen' together in 2004 and we've stayed in touch. Adam Garcia Almost every girl falls in love with the wrong man, I suppose it's part of growing up. Natalie Wood The money in the schools overpowers the principles of the purpose. Miroslav Vitous I have been traveling to every corner of the great state of Florida. I've met some great people and we've had an honest discussion about the failures of Washington. Adam Hasner I'm obsessed with books. David Sylvian The men and women of the CIA are a national treasure. John O. Brennan It's a mistake to confuse pity with love. Stanley Kubrick I was always loud and obnoxious and giggly and funny. Krysten Ritter I am careful about my conduct because I know this cause requires clean men. James Larkin

Years ago, when I first started being a big star, I had fans that were

fanatical. It was when 'Jolene' was a big hit. Dolly Parton Books externalise our brains and turn our homes into thinking bodies. John Updike For me, the source material can come from anywhere. It can be a poem, it can be a dream, it can be a movie, as long as the end part of it is interesting - that's what it's about for me. Baltasar Kormakur Netscape was able to get the government working on its behalf. Bill Gates Political novels are full of pitfalls, particularly for a novelist with strong political leanings. Phil Klay I don't say I was 'proceeding down a thoroughfare;' I say I 'walked down the road'. I don't say I 'passed a hallowed institute of learning;' I say I 'passed a school'. Maeve Binchy What you do by having an income tax rate reduction across the board, you really provide great incentives for people to work, produce, and increase output. So I would support a carbon tax in replacement for a progres

Years ago nobody was elected on the economic ticket. It was either the education platform,

or it was health or it was other issues. It is only recently that economic values have superceded every other human value. Anita Roddick The physical fabric of the world had to be such as to enable that ten billion year preliminary evolution to produce the raw materials of life. Without it there would not have been the chemical materials to allow life to evolve here on earth. John Polkinghorne I respect the Hall of Fame, and if they think that I'm worthy enough, I would be very honored. And if they don't, I gave it all that I had to this game. Rafael Palmeiro I'm pleased the administration is endorsing the need for legislation dealing with the chemical sector. In the past, the administration's position has been ambiguous. Susan Collins When I was 12 years old, I was hanging out with 23-year-olds. I was into cartoons and Pokemon, and they're all talking about girls. It was a strange way to grow up. Shaun White I read everything. I've always got a b