Skip to main content

It is weird. People will say, 'Oh my God, I love you.' And I'll say,

'Oh, that's so sweet. Thank you.' And the people who are walking around with me for the first time will say, 'I don't understand what happened. Somebody just told you they love you. I don't even understand what that means.'
Cheryl Hines

Voters are looking for credibility and are wary of polish. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter which candidate can more deftly read a teleprompter.
Mark McKinnon

There are plenty of ruined buildings in the world but no ruined stones.
Hugh MacDiarmid

Chefs have a new opportunity - and perhaps even an obligation - to inform the public about what is good to eat, and why.
Rene Redzepi

I tell people, 'If you want to send a message to the White House, call my house.'
Dick Gregory

I think people in Hollywood are afraid of sentiment because they think audiences will reject it.
Leonard Maltin

I've been dancing since I was 6 years old. That kind of relentless dedication and intensity is where I'm comfortable.
Andrea Anders

Mozart wrote so many works in his thirty-five years that it would take a lifetime just to write out the notes. We literally do not know how he did it.
Lukas Foss

I'd rather be strongly wrong than weakly right.
Tallulah Bankhead

I acted in millions of TV shows.
Sebastian Bach

Gemeoss

For me, triathlons were something that was down to me and my fitness. Now, I

really enjoy the pain in the triathlon of chasing someone down. It's a bit like chasing down Nico Rosberg in the last few laps at Silverstone - it makes you feel alive. Jenson Button I have this horrible sense of humor where I think discomfort is funny - partly because I experience discomfort a lot, and it's a way of laughing at it and getting a release. Joaquin Phoenix As long as there are people who are not happy with their lot in life, as long as the United States is perceived to somehow be the cause of this unhappiness, there will be terrorism. Cofer Black I'm just not one of those naturally funny, relaxed actors who enjoy the spotlight and are so good at it. Heath Ledger Be sure of yourself, don't let anyone bully you, be a strong and independent woman or boy. Nicole Polizzi When I started studying tenor saxophone as a kid in Belfast, I did so with a guy named George Cassidy, who was also a big inspiration. Van Morrison We get sucked into the Inte

My background was producing and writing and performing in television when I started out, and

I really missed that, that whole creative process that comes from sort of 'me' storytelling. Eric Bana When I first did 'The Fast and the Furious', I didn't want there to be a sequel on the first one. I thought, 'Why would you rush to do a sequel - just because your first film is successful?' Vin Diesel Put every light you have on a dimmer. Because after a certain age, we can play with the lighting and set it on how you look best on it. It's cheaper than plastic surgery. Bryan Batt I love that there's this tradition of being able to discuss the heaviest topics and the gnarliest stuff that goes down in people's lives in traditional Southern American music. Gillian Welch We repress the things we're scared of, but if we just look at and embrace the things we're scared of, it's a much fuller, richer life that's also not as scary. Gary Ross I was aware that the teaching of drawing was being stopped almost 30 years ago. A

The point is, the political reporters are the ones who no longer understand the ritual

they are covering. They keep searching for political meanings in the tepid events when a convention is now essentially a human drama and only that. William Greider Shields were generally made of wood, covered with leather, or some similar substance. To secure them, in some sort, from being cut through by the sword, they were surrounded with a hoop of metal. Thomas Bulfinch When you give an artist a canvas, you shouldn't tell him exactly how much paint to put on it, or exactly how sharp the images should be. You should let the artist get going. Reed Hundt There are a lot of stars I've worked with - big stars - who, when they walk on set, the energy just changes. Kathleen Robertson I played with so many musicians and some of the musicians would have something I want. I steal a lot of them, and I mash it up, I mash it up into my chords. David Edwards When I finally decided that my only hope was to go to college, I took an acting class, and once I walked onstage, I j

The thing that strikes you most about being a soldier in a war zone and

in action to the small extent that I was, when actually people start shooting, which happened to me a couple of times, everything goes on automatic and there's a feeling of tremendous elevation and even elation. Mark Helprin I was raised on the brothers Grimm, but my favorite fairy tales in the world are Oscar Wilde's - 'The Nightingale and the Rose,' 'The Selfish Giant.' The latter is probably my all-time favorite. Denis O'Hare When I came to Berkeley, I met all these Nobel laureates and I got to know that they were regular people. They were very smart and very motivated and worked very hard, but they were still humans, whereas before they were kind of mythical creatures to me. George Smoot I think they are paying a lot more attention to news now, by the way, in part because of national-security issues. A lot of young people have friends or family in the military today. Tom Brokaw But when I was twelve years old I caught my first strong glimpse

Most organizations should be pro-active, but philanthropists concerned with poverty should deliberately be reactive, learning

from the efforts of ordinary folks who tired of looking the other way as their communities fell apart. Marvin Olasky The myth that John Locke was the philosopher behind the American Republic, is easily refuted by examining how Locke's philosophy steered Thomas Jefferson, for example. Robert Trout Dying before dying has two important consequences: It liberates the individual from the fear of death and influences the actual experience of dying at the time of biological demise. Stanislav Grof The misery in war-torn Afghanistan is reminiscent of images from the Thirty Years' War. Jurgen Habermas There tends to be a lot of autism around the tech centers... when you concentrate the geeks, you're concentrating the autism genetics. Temple Grandin Maybe I see myself with kids, given the right place and right moment, with the right person. Cat Deeley I have spent many a night in an Internet chat room, but not since I've been married. Jane Green Once I engage

Right before I go on stage, I'm absolutely terrified. My mind darts at many directions,

but the center of me is going forward into the performance. Sarah Brightman I think we have responsibilities to be active in the things we believe in, regardless of what our job is. At least in my lifetime, there has been a tremendous combining of activism and music, that came up in the era of Pete Seeger and the Weavers and Joan Baez and Bob Dylan and Peter Paul & Mary. Bonnie Raitt If I were put into a college lecture hall right now and told to pay attention for 45 minutes, it would be physically impossible for me to do. I'm one of those people who believe that ADD is a gift. It's tough to manage, but if you can harness it you can do great things. Jeff Kinney I don't sleep very much. I really like to work, though. I feel like a kid in a candy store. Donnie Wahlberg I've got the best shoe guy in the business. Nate Robinson I don't know the figures, but Hollywood must buy 100 rights for every movie that actually gets made. Bryan Burrough Organi

I truly believe that when a person makes a concrete decision and takes action towards

a goal that they've set, that the universe will step in and provide opportunities. Tamara Tunie The law increasing and organizing the military establishment of the United States has been nearly carried into effect, and the Army has been extensively and usefully employed during the past season. Martin Van Buren It's always hard to wrap up a series. The longer I spend with the characters, the more they become like friends. Rick Riordan We must govern from the middle, or we will not be able to govern at all. Tom Daschle You'd be surprised how addicting high self-esteem is. Fergie A conductor should guide rather than command. Riccardo Muti Hubert, a speech doesn't have to be eternal to be immortal. Muriel Humphrey Always speak the truth, think before you speak, and write it down afterwards. Lewis Carroll Life creates conditions conducive to life. Janine Benyus Old friends become bitter enemies on a sudden for toys and small offenses. Robert Burto

In the book of Colossians, it talks about that because of what Christ did, we

are pure. We are without judgment on ourselves. And only through him can we do something like this. Jim Bakker I pointed out on the floor last year, after Hurricane Katrina, we were very proud that one of our National Guard engineering battalions was called to Louisiana. And they did a magnificent job. Kit Bond I've rarely gotten a good review in my life, yet, to paraphrase Noel Coward, I am happy to console myself with the bitter palliative of commercial success. Steven Weber But we discovered that, although I liked publishing, the commercial side meant nothing at all to me. Dick Bruna Not only the entire ability to think rests on language... but language is also the crux of the misunderstanding of reason with itself. Johann Georg Hamann I'm not a great believer in awards-of course the fact that I've never won one has nothing to do with it at all! Iain Banks I still have a steady stream of book cover work. I'm grateful for it. Viva le book! Chip Kidd

Theatre is about the collective imagination... Everything I use on-stage is driven by the subject

matter and what you might call the text - but that text can be anything, from a fragment of movement or music to something you see on a TV. Simon McBurney I'm active, but I just don't like being hungry or feeling like I've deprived myself. I want to enjoy life. Suki Waterhouse I love a nice cooking show. It's as aesthetically pleasing as any other thing that tempts the senses, I suppose. Janeane Garofalo I wasn't really excited about doing television, to be quite honest. Ramon Rodriguez One thing that is constantly on my iPod is India Arie - I like her a lot; I listen to her a lot. I think she is just a spectacular artist. Audra McDonald It's so funny because the roles that I've been offered in the indie film world have been similar to each other, and the roles that I've been offered in the TV world have been similar to each other, but the TV roles and the indie film roles have been completely different. Courtney Ford Don't get me w

We struggle with the right words to describe the design process at Apple. But it

is very much about designing and prototyping and making. Jonathan Ive It started to weigh on me that I was responsible for the moves that had made me successful, but I wasn't reaping the lion's share of the profits, and that was problematic for me. Frank Ocean I see all four presidential candidates, the leading four, Cruz and Trump and Sanders and Clinton, all oppose TPP. Sherrod Brown Given how unflinching his productions have been, the 44-year-old McQueen is remarkably gentle and thoughtful - so much so that he will request a moment to consider a question, and turn it around in his head to get the shape and weight of it, before answering, occasionally with an excited rush of words in response. Elvis Mitchell Too often, politics is like bad theater. The mass media simplifies stories and personalities into their most basic, digestible and familiar bits. Listeners prefer songs they have heard before, after all. Kevin Hassett I had money, but I still didn't kno