Skip to main content

Prior to 'The Shield,' basic cable was just a wasteland of reruns and NASCAR. When

we came along, I think there was a collective, 'Hey, if they can do that, why can't we?' from the basic-cable networks of the world. We ended up being the cornerstone for a network, and a great one.
Michael Chiklis

When I was in my early 20s, my dream was to write mystery novels. I wanted to do what my favourite crime writer, Ross Macdonald, did - crank out a book a year. The only problem - and it was a considerable one - was that I stank.
Linwood Barclay

One very important element for me to make a movie is, it has to be unique and different from any other.
Stephen Chow

Of course, I think that people are just waiting for that time when I make a mistake and they're gonna jump on it.... There's gonna be haters.
Justin Bieber

The endurance of the inequalities of life by the poor is the marvel of human society.
James Anthony Froude

I wanted to do something inspirational for my children.
Harvey Weinstein

My favorite tennis player, who I'm amazed by, is Roger Federer.
Doug Davidson

I feel very fortunate to have been associated with people such as Rodgers and Hammerstein. I think they were geniuses of their time.
Shirley Jones

Speech is the mirror of the soul.
Publilius Syrus

Sometimes the wheels of justice grind slowly.
Terry Waite

Gemeoss

Years ago nobody was elected on the economic ticket. It was either the education platform,

or it was health or it was other issues. It is only recently that economic values have superceded every other human value. Anita Roddick The physical fabric of the world had to be such as to enable that ten billion year preliminary evolution to produce the raw materials of life. Without it there would not have been the chemical materials to allow life to evolve here on earth. John Polkinghorne I respect the Hall of Fame, and if they think that I'm worthy enough, I would be very honored. And if they don't, I gave it all that I had to this game. Rafael Palmeiro I'm pleased the administration is endorsing the need for legislation dealing with the chemical sector. In the past, the administration's position has been ambiguous. Susan Collins When I was 12 years old, I was hanging out with 23-year-olds. I was into cartoons and Pokemon, and they're all talking about girls. It was a strange way to grow up. Shaun White I read everything. I've always got a b

You have to understand: the narrative that people have about business and capitalism is that

they are fundamentally selfish, greedy, and exploitative. Of course, I don't agree with that narrative. John Mackey Sometimes, you just have to clear your head and get out to see other things. It is very important to be nourished. I love to go to museums and galleries, I like to see theatre, film, dance - anything creative. It doesn't promise you inspiration, but it nourishes your creative soul, and that's good. Marc Jacobs When I was growing up, I don't remember being told that America was created so that everyone could get rich. I remember being told it was about opportunity and the pursuit of happiness. Not happiness itself, but the pursuit. Martin Scorsese Folk music is music that everyday people can play, and it inspired a lot of people to make their own music. That trailed into making your own pop music, and that's why garage bands started springing up everywhere. Arlo Guthrie I'm a real nature lover, so whenever possible, I like to get to the

I've become wary of interviews in which you're forced to go back over the reasons

why you made certain decisions. You tend to rationalize what you've done, to intellectually review a process that is often intuitive. Peter Weir With this first novel, I am just above the foothills, but I see the path to the top, and it is my desire to write compelling stories about everything that I find of interest. Guy Johnson Even though the vast majority of my work was outside television, the amount of creation and inventing that went into the TV shows was non stop and, unknown to me, a great strain. Paul Daniels Black women, whose experience is unique, are seldom recognized as a particular social-cultural entity and are seldom thought to be important enough for serious scholarly consideration. Barbara Smith I wouldn't say anything is impossible. I think that everything is possible as long as you put your mind to it and put the work and time into it. Michael Phelps Either you write songs or you don't. And if you do write songs like I do, I think there

The only thing that being killed off on 'Graceland' helped me with on 'Game of

Thrones' is that it made me available to actually do the job. Pedro Pascal I associate heavy metal with fantasy because of the tremendous power that the music delivers. Christopher Lee In a television interview, I said that diversity in our children's books should include the adventures of disabled children, travellers and gipsies, LGBT teens, different cultures, classes, colours, religions. It shouldn't be a token gesture, nor do such stories need to be 'issue-based'. Malorie Blackman It sounds so cliched, but I've always been kind of different. I always liked being around weird kids. Cecily Strong I actually didn't really go to college. I enrolled and never showed up. Being on a college campus where we shot some of the scenes in 'The Goodwin Games'... it did make me wish that was an experience that I had. Adam Rodriguez It's very liberating to cut your hair. Pamela Anderson I always joke that they're all like my children,

The thing I really love about film is there's a really big sense of teamwork,

and everyone has to do their job to the best of their ability to make the film work in the first place. Sarah Snook To send humans back to the moon would not be advancing. It would be more than 50 years after the first moon landing when we got there, and we'd probably be welcomed by the Chinese. But we should return to the moon without astronauts and build, with robots, an international lunar base, so that we know how to build a base on Mars robotically. Buzz Aldrin One of the first papers I wrote at the University of Wisconsin, in 1977, was on stem cells. I realized that if I changed the environment that these cells were in, I could turn the cells into bone, and if I changed the environment a bit more, they would form fat cells. Bruce Lipton Nobody is offered a World Cup. Abby Wambach Archaeology holds all the keys to understanding who we are and where we come from. Sarah Parcak I think performers are all show-offs anyway, especially musicians. Unless you show off,

I had almost forgotten to tell you that I have already been to the Parliament

House; and yet this is of most importance. For, had I seen nothing else in England but this, I should have thought my journey thither amply rewarded. Karl Philipp Moritz Most of the time I feel stupid, insensitive, mediocre, talentless and vulnerable - like I'm about to cry any second - and wrong. I've found that when that happens, it usually means I'm writing pretty well, pretty deeply, pretty rawly. Andre Dubus III Looking forward, it might prove constructive to examine the true historical record of an issue prior to assuming the worst of anyone's motive and deconstructing and questioning anyone's Democratic bona fides. After all, we liberals got feelings. Gary Ackerman I loved that these two guys argued with each other as if movies actually mattered. Nobody I knew talked about movies that way, but Siskel and Ebert took each movie as it came and talked about whether it was a success on its own terms. Sarah Vowell The waltz can be sad and at the same ti

I thought for a month or so along the lines of what I call Monsieur

Beaucaire in modern clothes. By that, I mean a hero who is believed by all to be a villain but who, in the end, is introduced as a man of great honor with a long list of decorations. Preston Sturges I have a problem keeping my mouth shut. I usually speak my mind. I'm trying to learn my lesson. Christina Hendricks Astronautics, strictly speaking, will be concerned with voyages to other stars. Remarkably enough, to achieve such feats, we might not even have to leave the earth. It would suffice to accelerate the sun itself to a very high speed and let it drag all its planets with it. Fritz Zwicky I always walk around with a few moves in my pocket. You never know when you may need to bust one out. Tahj Mowry I simply can't wear an outfit if I don't feel that is right for me. Tahar Rahim 'The Others' books take place in an alternate Earth where the Earth natives have been the dominant predators throughout the world's history, and humans are nowhere nea

While Taliban fighters had an initial claim to protection under the conventions, they lost POW

status by failing to obey the standards of conduct for legal combatants: wearing uniforms, a responsible command structure, and obeying the laws of war. John Yoo It is one thing to praise discipline, and another to submit to it. Miguel de Cervantes Negotiations are a euphemism for capitulation if the shadow of power is not cast across the bargaining table. George Schultz An Englishman, being flattered, is a lamb; threatened, a lion. George Chapman I try to stay positive by focusing on how much I'll appreciate my health if I get better. Daniel Johns Sorrow is knowledge, those that know the most must mourn the deepest, the tree of knowledge is not the tree of life. Lord Byron It was terrible on dates, because I could never eat when I was on a date. Robert Barnes

I have three degrees in history and only one in law, but since I came

back to specialize in constitutional law where history is so essentially a part and an explanation of much that exists, the two disciplines blended very well. Frank Scott Many times I asked myself, 'Who is a painter in your own eyes?' Peter Malkin In the first place, you must pay great attention to the key note. William Billings I definitely hope to attend UCLA in a year, and major in business. Mila Kunis Love is when he gives you a piece of your soul, that you never knew was missing. Torquato Tasso You cannot fly like an eagle with the wings of a wren. William Henry Hudson If we cannot agree, then at least we ought to move on. Ben Nelson Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. Aldous Huxley

Any time I need to get a serious attitude adjustment, I put on one of

their records, and there are examples there for all time to keep us honest and keep us reaching; they'll never be eclipsed. Benny Green Little children are still the symbol of the eternal marriage between love and duty. George Eliot Workplaces still operate like it's 1962 and one person is always at home, and they are not very good at adjusting for the fact that a majority of women work and take care of children. Hanna Rosin Sometimes nudity is sexy. Sometimes it's not. Sometimes being clothed is more sexy than being nude. Helen Mirren It's the interviewee's job to know that his privacy is going to be invaded on some level. Otherwise, you are better off not doing the interview. John Travolta I would never talk bad about anybody, even if they have something derogatory to say about me. I'm the bigger person. Buddy Valastro Our military should be trained and structured around missions, not the elements of air, water, and land. Louis V. Gerstner,