Skip to main content

I've definitely, you know, been with women. And I've had great relationships with them where

I was definitely in love. It's just I grew to a point where deep inside I knew that I could never truly have a relationship with a woman. I don't know if they ever suspected. It was never brought up.
Lance Bass

Sometimes the best, and only effective, way to kill an idea is to put it into practice.
Sydney J. Harris

Alimony is like buying hay for a dead horse.
Groucho Marx

Men of power have no time to read; yet the men who do not read are unfit for power.
Michael Foot

Isolation is the sum total of wretchedness to a man.
Thomas Carlyle

Women have a special corner of their hearts for sins they have never committed.
Cornelia Otis Skinner

As far as I knew white women were never lonely, except in books. White men adored them, Black men desired them and Black women worked for them.
Maya Angelou

The box was a universe, a poem, frozen on the boundaries of human experience.
William Gibson

I was given no special information by the White House, or by anybody else, for that matter.
Jeff Gannon

Gemeoss

I find that on serialized television it's wiser to hit the ground and look forward,

and take the cues from the writers and the events happening, otherwise you just tie yourself in knots. Dallas Roberts I approach 'Fast & Furious 6' the same way I would approach a Sidney Lumet film. Getting into character's getting into character. Vin Diesel I don't think there's any better education than learning the intimate details of the lives of people who you most admire. Brandon Stanton Being bad at stuff is hard, and we all deal with it every day because we're all bad at stuff. Graham Moore I am fine playing 'Law & Order' and even the 'Jurassic' movies to be straight up, as far as the characters being portrayed there, but I never want to stay in straight-up land too long. I always wanted to do something where the character's world gets to be explored. B. D. Wong Mental health is such a complex thing and so difficult to diagnose. What is a mental problem? Who does have mental problems? What's the difference b

I love the game, it's the greatest game on earth, that's why I can't understand

all of this talk about trying to make the game better. People talk about the high strike zone and changing this and that. Why? To speed up the game? That's the beauty of baseball. There is no time element. Eric Davis My dad also plays a little banjo and guitar, my mom plays the mandolin. Page McConnell I never set out to write prayers at all. But there was a span of time when I didn't find it easy to pray, but, when I went to write one of the things I had to write, a prayer would come. Gloria Gaither You can't get closer to the heart of national sovereignty than national security and intelligence services. Gijs de Vries A guy will promise you the world and give you nothin', and that's the blues. Otis Rush I think people often confuse success with fame and stardom. Brenda Blethyn The beautiful spring came; and when Nature resumes her loveliness, the human soul is apt to revive also. Harriet Ann Jacobs Live to learn, learn to live, then teach others. Dou

Our most important task is to transform our consciousness so that violence is no longer

an option for us in our personal lives, that understanding that a world of peace is possible only if we relate to each other as peaceful beings, one individual at a time. Deepak Chopra I went to live on a kibbutz, and I'd idealized the world of collective, agrarian work, where everyone was equal, everyone contributed, that all this awful European intellectual stuff just fell away. Tony Judt I don't teach writing classes anymore, and I'm really glad I don't, because I would feel very strange about telling people, 'Go out there and be a writer, and make a living from it.' Ursula K. Le Guin I have a horror of people who speak about the beautiful. What is the beautiful? One must speak of problems in painting! Pablo Picasso What kind of moron would go to work for half the amount of money, when they could sit at home and collect what's written in a contract? Bill Goldberg I currently spend a lot of time thinking about orchestration and every detail

I've kind of had to make a career of playing villains. In order to stay

employed, I had to figure out how to play bad guys. Jeffrey Pierce I am basically in awe of every family's ability to make decisions for their kids. Rebecca Stead I was working my first adult job, a quasi journalistic job, writing content for a website. In the offices, we had banks of TVs, papers, a constant media stream, which was unusual for 2001. Garth Risk Hallberg My life had been defined by the apartheid years. Now we were going into an era of democracy... and I believed that I didn't really have a function as a useful artist in that anymore. Athol Fugard Journalists should have been the first to tell people what Obamacare would mean to them. They are now the last to figure all of this out. Rush Limbaugh We all want to be a little glamorous, a little playful and a little mischievous at times. Jason Wu No, I don't think I'm ever going to get serious. Blake Shelton I'm into the lyrical side of rap. I listen to some old Eminem songs and think

I created this picture of this character who would play the guitar effortlessly, who had

no limitations, performing beautiful music, and he moved around with great acrobatic skills, just capturing the audience and being a great entertainer. Steve Vai From about eight years old I was always making things on the sewing machine. Friends would see me making dresses and costumes, and I'd use difficult fabrics such as Lycra and elastic. But you know, my dad was creative and my brother is inventive too. Melissa George I starred in a Broadway play that was Sidney Poitier's first directing job and the cast was Lou Gossett, Cicely Tyson, Diana Ladd and I played a Jewish kid who offered himself as a slave to two Columbia University students as reparations. David Steinberg I did the traditional thing with falling in love with words, reading books and underlining lines I liked and words I didn't know. It was something I always did. Carrie Fisher I know in my soul when something feels like a sell out and I think for me, I knew that if I did the Jane's Addicti

It is by God's grace and provision that Hobby Lobby has endured. Therefore, we seek

to honor God by operating the company in a manner consistent with biblical principles. David Green Even spiritually advanced people are often confused. They feel an inner ecstasy which comes from the vital world, and they think this is the real delight. But it is not so. Real delight comes from the highest world to the soul, and from the soul it saturates the whole being. Sri Chinmoy I love discussing the ins and outs of the collaborative nature of writing. Jim Rash If you step back and take a holistic look, I think any reasonable person would say Android is innovating at a pretty fast pace and getting it to users. Sundar Pichai Reducing caloric intake is the only proven method of extending life. If caloric intake is reduced to 20 percent below maintenance, you can extend your lifespan considerably. S. Jay Olshansky Now, learning how to make a movie is something you can figure out in about an afternoon. The physics of it, the marks, the lights, etc. What's hard to do

The thing that strikes you most about being a soldier in a war zone and

in action to the small extent that I was, when actually people start shooting, which happened to me a couple of times, everything goes on automatic and there's a feeling of tremendous elevation and even elation. Mark Helprin I was raised on the brothers Grimm, but my favorite fairy tales in the world are Oscar Wilde's - 'The Nightingale and the Rose,' 'The Selfish Giant.' The latter is probably my all-time favorite. Denis O'Hare When I came to Berkeley, I met all these Nobel laureates and I got to know that they were regular people. They were very smart and very motivated and worked very hard, but they were still humans, whereas before they were kind of mythical creatures to me. George Smoot I think they are paying a lot more attention to news now, by the way, in part because of national-security issues. A lot of young people have friends or family in the military today. Tom Brokaw But when I was twelve years old I caught my first strong glimpse

Show business has been really, really good to me because I can work and take

a lot of time off, and I'm extremely undisciplined person. Meryl Streep In one way, I suppose, I have been 'in denial' for some time, knowingly burning the candle at both ends and finding that it often gives a lovely light. Christopher Hitchens I'm a kid that went to theater school. I thought I was going to be making my living doing plays regionally or in New York or on Broadway, and maybe if I got lucky I would do a movie here or there. Matt Bomer As you get older it's more confusing. Suddenly, there's more pressure to fit in to your assigned gender. Chaz Bono I just want to be remembered as a person who loved God, who served others more than he served himself, who was trying to grow in maturity and stability. Mike Yaconelli The theory in great families was 'why work if you don't have to.' Being a public figure was reserved for movie stars. Jacqueline de Ribes There's no such thing as a healthy tan, and that's what people n

Certain things can't be approximated, so I'm always interested in getting in another way, one

which makes the reader bend in closer to the scene even if that scene, especially if that scene, is painful... Brutal language isn't necessarily the most truthful way of describing a brutal moment. Anne Michaels The function of the novelist... is to comment upon life as he sees it. Frank Norris But I've got more to learn, too. I don't feel like I'm done or I know it all. Gary Sinise Man is the only animal that laughs and has a state legislature. Samuel Butler If its not done ethically, advertising won't be trusted. If consumers don't trust it, advertising is pointless. Jef I. Richards Simplicity does not precede complexity, but follows it. Alan Perlis There is always strength in numbers. The more individuals or organizations that you can rally to your cause, the better. Mark Shields If ye despise the human race, and mortal arms, yet remember that there is a God who is mindful of right and wrong. Virgil Had we but world enough, and time, t

Comedies are just never that expensive quite frankly. They really aren't. We aren't doing green

screen shooting, so even Hangover II in Bangkok might seem like it's expensive, you're flying over and back, but they're just not that expensive to make when you do it the way we do it which is very focused and I've done it before. Todd Phillips In 2010, my two Harvard mathematician colleagues and I dismantled kin-selection theory, which was the reigning theory of the origin of altruism at the time. E. O. Wilson This nation is like a spring freshet; it overruns its banks and destroys all who are in its path. Sitting Bull I'm the most low-maintenance person on the road. Lee Ann Womack I have to convince myself I know what I'm doing. Joe Namath I was an expert horseman. Harry Carey, Jr. Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold I have spoken to a whole group of millionaires, head executives at Microsoft. Boy did I chew those guys out. Jack LaLanne Violence was almost an aphrodisiac for me. Woody Harrelson Any