Skip to main content

In terms of getting people to experiment more and take more risk, there are at

least three things that immediately come to my mind. Number one, of course, is role-modeling it yourself. Number two is, when people take intelligent, smart risks and yet it doesn't work out, not shooting them. And number three, being honest with yourself.
John P. Kotter

Every time I took a long leave from home, I felt as if I were going to conquer the world. Or rather, take possession of what is my birthright, my inheritance.
Ella Maillart

If you listen to really deep ambient records that don't move too much, very still records, long after those records are finished, you might find yourself listening for hours to the sound of the room.
Bill Laswell

I do like to turn a phrase, but it's all about how you turn it.
Gabriel Mann

I have X'd myself from your world.
Charles Manson

I think really good books can be read by anybody.
Norton Juster

I have made some of the best friends that I've got in this business.
Kate Moss

As an actor, I think a mistake that any storyteller can make is to play the ending.
John Hawkes

I know there are, like, 12 rules for late night: a desk, a band. Will people take me seriously if I don't wear a tie?
Jimmy Kimmel

Gemeoss

I remember at 16 years old, growing up in Queens, we were punks, but hey,

when we went to the theater, we wore a shirt and tie! Similarly, I believe that to keep movie theaters in existence, they're gonna have to make 'em an event, have a couch, a table and drinks or something. Otherwise, there's no reason to get out of your bed! James Caan The only reason I went to college was to play basketball. I injured my knee and couldn't play. Jeffrey Dean Morgan Going out and playing football or baseball with the boys, when I was a tomboy, was a great way to learn about winning and losing, and most girls didn't have that experience. Hillary Clinton If I wasn't performing, I wasn't alive. That's the truth. My parents had absolutely no interest in the business, but they knew it made me happy, so they said 'Go for it, girl!' Samantha Barks When approved, the SAFE Port Act will make progress toward protecting the physical infrastructure of our seaports as well as our national economy which is so clearly dependent on the com...

My first joke was about a company called Five Star Parking that was all over

Philadelphia: 'Who's reviewing parking lots?' Adam McKay I don't have to try to be perfect because I know that my fans like me for who I am. They like me because I am weird and kind of funky, but still really calm. Bella Thorne It's a funny feeling to work with people who you consider your colleagues and to realize that they actually are young enough to be your children. Alan Alda There was a time when cowboys respected their horses instead of riding them to death just to show off for a crowd. Tommy Lee My friends and family are amazed I've done so well. I was not a model student. No one expected that I'd build a Fortune 500 company at Symantec. John W. Thompson Before 'Moonrise,' I never thought I would be in a movie where I would be struck by lightning. Jared Gilman The theme of sisters - of missing sisters, of needing sisters, the special love that sisters share or the antagonism sisters share - is something that is very close to...

Photographic memory is often confused with another bizarre - but real - perceptual phenomenon called

eidetic memory, which occurs in between 2 and 15 percent of children and very rarely in adults. An eidetic image is essentially a vivid afterimage that lingers in the mind's eye for up to a few minutes before fading away. Joshua Foer One of my favorite films is 'Dumb and Dumber.' I'd love to do some really silly comedy someday. Paul Dano In my family, as in most middle-class Indian families I knew when I was growing up, science and mathematics were held in awe. Aravind Adiga I give the spectator the possibility of participating. The audience completes the film by thinking about it; those who watch must not be just consumers ingesting spoon-fed images. Michael Haneke Even The Impostors, as silly as it is, is a very intimate film, in a way. Stanley Tucci There's no doubt I'm emotional. Sidney Crosby Knowledge is ancient error reflecting on its youth. Francis Picabia I can only be who I am. Enya The South African government, unlike a lot of ...

That's the great thing about university: you've got people around you who are taking a

risk and trying things out themselves. It gives you the confidence to try and take it to the next step, which was drama school. Adam Rayner I'm not afraid to have a character say, 'I am a Christian,' or, 'I believe in God,' because I think they represent real people on this Earth. Tyler Perry My tutorial videos are educational, but they're goofy - I'm just being myself. Rosanna Pansino Despite the fact that feminists say they're not getting a fair deal, women are still very powerful. Les Dawson Being home schooled is awesome because you can make your own schedule, so as far as time management, it's up to you how much you get done and when you get it done. It's all got to get done; how you do it is up to you. You need a lot of self-discipline, but luckily, I have it. Jason Dolley I would have loved to have another 10 Eric Ambler books. Alan Furst I want to have all that scientific information that we're building be used in de...

If the part isn't always there on the page, I've had good relationships with writers

where there's an openness to bring more to the role. Felicity Jones When you're seven feet tall on set, people give you respect. Alan Tudyk 'Paris, Texas' gave me a chance to play compassion, and I'm spelling that with a capital C. Harry Dean Stanton I love all genres of music. I think it helps you become a better performer if you know the different types of music. Diana DeGarmo Change is incremental. Change is small. Theodore Melfi Having students was so inspiring. Alex Guarnaschelli I've been in 'Avengers' films, but I don't do a lot of the action parts. There are superheroes in the movie! People would much rather see them fight each other! Cobie Smulders When I was a kid, I really wanted a metal detector for Christmas, convinced I was going to find buried treasure and could retire at 12. Santa Claus brought me one, but sadly, that treasure was never realized. It's amazing how many bottle caps you have to dig up. But to be ...

Owned technologies are easy to grasp because they're so prevalent. They're technologies that are developed

and shaped by a defined group, usually someone selling it. Jonathan Zittrain No one suggested Lehman deserved to be saved. But the argument has been made that the crisis might have been less severe if it had been saved, because Lehman's failure created remarkable uncertainty in the market as investors became confused about the role of the government and whether it was picking winners and losers. Andrew Ross Sorkin This adoration of an artist as a lone genius is quite misled, I think, because they are very much part of their time and their community. Hannah Gadsby In the dream life, you don't deliberately set out to dream about a house night after night; the dream itself insists you look at whatever is trying to come into visibility. Jane Hirshfield Wintertime for me is a time when I do a lot of my writing in the studio. It's a time I enjoy. And it's very reflective and a very calming time of the year. Throughout the year I gather a lot of musical inspiration...

When you become successful on the level that Fleetwood Mac did, it gives you financial

freedom, which should allow you to follow your impulses. But oddly enough, they become much harder to follow. Lindsey Buckingham All of a sudden I discovered that I'm allergic to caviar. It was the perfect metaphor for my life. When I was only able to afford bad caviar, I could certainly eat my fill of it. Larry David My symphonies would have reached Opus 100 if I had but written them down... Sometimes I am so full of music, and so overflowing with melody, that I find it simply impossible to write down anything. Robert Schumann Historically, terrorism falls in a category different from crimes that concern a criminal court judge. Jurgen Habermas We started this band as kids, and as time has gone on, we've grown and are learning to accommodate each others' differences. Layne Staley Sometimes the greatest meals on vacations are the ones you find when Plan A falls through. Anthony Bourdain Lipitor is one of the most researched medicines. I'm glad I take Li...

One misconception is that entrepreneurs love risk. Actually, we all want things to go as

we expect. What you need is a blind optimism and a tolerance for uncertainty. Drew Houston I did grow up reading the 'Twilight' books. I feel guilty, but I was always Team Edward. Halston Sage Online theft has changed the business model of filmmaking because the DVD market is very soft. So, more ambitious, compelling, character-driven narrative of a certain budget level isn't really a viable business model in the eyes of the studios right now. Jon Favreau I pole-dance. I do. I do it at an aerobics center. Having done gymnastics for 13 years, I find it's one of the only things where I can still use my core and all my muscles. Plus, it's fun: You're a girl, and you get to dance around a pole! Serinda Swan I like nicotine because it excites my brain and helps me work. Umberto Eco Donald Trump will never turn his back on those who serve and protect us at home and abroad. Mike Pence I don't spend a lot of time watching my performances after the ...

I have done for my country, and for all mankind, all that I

could do, and I now resign my soul, without fear, to my God - my daughter to my country. Thomas Jefferson The saddest moment as Prime Minister is writing letters to families who have lost loved ones in Afghanistan or those who we have tried to help in hostage situations but it hasn't worked out. David Cameron My son, Gio, wanted to do a horseback trip in Mongolia, but he didn't want to do an Abercrombie & Fitch-type tour, where they show you around while you sleep in B&Bs. John Fusco Location is all about the efficiency of work for me. Michelle Grabner I always think it's hard for any young actor to make that transition to more grown-up roles. Because you don't want to alienate your audience who has been supportive of you for so many years, so you kind of have to tiptoe through that process. Alexa Vega I dress like a 7-year-old space pilot. I have clothes that I still wear regularly from high school. Kirsten Vangsness I think when you're a ...

Enlightened leadership is spiritual if we understand spirituality not as some kind of religious dogma

or ideology but as the domain of awareness where we experience values like truth, goodness, beauty, love and compassion, and also intuition, creativity, insight and focused attention. Deepak Chopra I'd have these weird experiences where I'd just be walking down the street with this chord progression in my head, this happened more than a few times, and I'd walk home and find a fax in my machine and it would match the music in my head. Duncan Sheik I think that one of Tim's great qualities and abilities is in what seems like a thumbnail sketch to get something quite telling, very simply, when you're doing it or being in that thumbnail sketch, you don't feel that it's important. Albert Finney In making certain things easier for people, technology has actually demotivated people from using their brains. We have all these devices that keep us connected, and yet we're more disconnected than ever before. Why is that? Emilio Estevez I think if there...