Skip to main content

There is a number among us, young and old, of all sorts almost among us,

that swarm up and down towns, and woods, and fields, whose care and work hitherto hath been like bees, only to get honey to their own hive.
Thomas Shepard

I just felt that if I went into Speed 2, I just... wouldn't have come up out of the water.
Keanu Reeves

The writer who can't do his job looks to his editor to do it for him, though he won't dream of sharing his royalties with that editor.
Alfred A. Knopf

Death is with you all the time; you get deeper in it as you move towards it, but it's not unfamiliar to you. It's always been there, so what becomes unfamiliar to you when you pass away from the moment is really life.
bell hooks

An interface is humane if it is responsive to human needs and considerate of human frailties.
Jef Raskin

Gemeoss

I love the game, it's the greatest game on earth, that's why I can't understand

all of this talk about trying to make the game better. People talk about the high strike zone and changing this and that. Why? To speed up the game? That's the beauty of baseball. There is no time element. Eric Davis My dad also plays a little banjo and guitar, my mom plays the mandolin. Page McConnell I never set out to write prayers at all. But there was a span of time when I didn't find it easy to pray, but, when I went to write one of the things I had to write, a prayer would come. Gloria Gaither You can't get closer to the heart of national sovereignty than national security and intelligence services. Gijs de Vries A guy will promise you the world and give you nothin', and that's the blues. Otis Rush I think people often confuse success with fame and stardom. Brenda Blethyn The beautiful spring came; and when Nature resumes her loveliness, the human soul is apt to revive also. Harriet Ann Jacobs Live to learn, learn to live, then teach others. Dou

I'm the type of person who can get a feel for what you need and

what I need to do to push you to get you to a breaking point, where you realize that you can't go on this way anymore, that the reason you're heavy is because you're ignoring all the stuff that's going on inside. Cara Castronuova The health care industry can play a great role in this by being aware of the fact that these children form perhaps the most neglected group of people in the country, largely because it is hard to find them. C. Everett Koop I can't tell you why a particular athlete would leave a certain coach, but I can tell you there could be many reasons. They could have personality conflicts. They could have misunderstandings. Lots of stuff can happen. Alberto Salazar Today's misery is real unemployment, home foreclosures and bankruptcies. This is the Obama Misery Index and its at a record high. Its going to take more than new rhetoric to put Americans back to work - its going to take a new president. Mitt Romney I enjoyed art in school. I

I find that on serialized television it's wiser to hit the ground and look forward,

and take the cues from the writers and the events happening, otherwise you just tie yourself in knots. Dallas Roberts I approach 'Fast & Furious 6' the same way I would approach a Sidney Lumet film. Getting into character's getting into character. Vin Diesel I don't think there's any better education than learning the intimate details of the lives of people who you most admire. Brandon Stanton Being bad at stuff is hard, and we all deal with it every day because we're all bad at stuff. Graham Moore I am fine playing 'Law & Order' and even the 'Jurassic' movies to be straight up, as far as the characters being portrayed there, but I never want to stay in straight-up land too long. I always wanted to do something where the character's world gets to be explored. B. D. Wong Mental health is such a complex thing and so difficult to diagnose. What is a mental problem? Who does have mental problems? What's the difference b

It is by God's grace and provision that Hobby Lobby has endured. Therefore, we seek

to honor God by operating the company in a manner consistent with biblical principles. David Green Even spiritually advanced people are often confused. They feel an inner ecstasy which comes from the vital world, and they think this is the real delight. But it is not so. Real delight comes from the highest world to the soul, and from the soul it saturates the whole being. Sri Chinmoy I love discussing the ins and outs of the collaborative nature of writing. Jim Rash If you step back and take a holistic look, I think any reasonable person would say Android is innovating at a pretty fast pace and getting it to users. Sundar Pichai Reducing caloric intake is the only proven method of extending life. If caloric intake is reduced to 20 percent below maintenance, you can extend your lifespan considerably. S. Jay Olshansky Now, learning how to make a movie is something you can figure out in about an afternoon. The physics of it, the marks, the lights, etc. What's hard to do

The point is, the political reporters are the ones who no longer understand the ritual

they are covering. They keep searching for political meanings in the tepid events when a convention is now essentially a human drama and only that. William Greider Shields were generally made of wood, covered with leather, or some similar substance. To secure them, in some sort, from being cut through by the sword, they were surrounded with a hoop of metal. Thomas Bulfinch When you give an artist a canvas, you shouldn't tell him exactly how much paint to put on it, or exactly how sharp the images should be. You should let the artist get going. Reed Hundt There are a lot of stars I've worked with - big stars - who, when they walk on set, the energy just changes. Kathleen Robertson I played with so many musicians and some of the musicians would have something I want. I steal a lot of them, and I mash it up, I mash it up into my chords. David Edwards When I finally decided that my only hope was to go to college, I took an acting class, and once I walked onstage, I j

It is not a dream that someday, nations will be able to settle their difficulties

without war, just as individuals now settle their personal feuds without resorting to arguments of physical strength or sharp steel. For, then, humanity will have created international jurisdiction and a power to enforce its laws. Ellen Key I carried on acting during school holidays and was all set to go to drama school when I was offered my first professional job appearing in 'King David' with Richard Gere. Gina Bellman I work in fantasy all day, so when I go home, I want to touch reality. Johnny Galecki Tea makes everything better. Bindi Irwin In television, the writer-creator-showrunner is embraced as the creative mind. Jim Rash There are a number of candidate vaccines that are in development for HIV/AIDS. Anthony Fauci I don't know what to do if I am not inspiring some sort of false fascination. Elizabeth Wurtzel It was weird that most people knew me as someone let go from 'SNL.' I had the best time there, and in retrospect, it was the perfe

It's not an act. I love it. It's totally original. People go, 'What's going on

with this guy? Why does he sound so weird? What is going on in his brain. I don't know. Just one day I suddenly woke up with a new brain. Charlie Sheen I don't plan out my visits rigorously, but I do have a list of about 125 New York galleries, alternative spaces, museums, and so forth that I visit regularly. That's the closest thing I have to a strategy: I go to a lot of places, many that artists don't visit. Jerry Saltz I think that practising the law, particularly litigation, and particularly in Glasgow, has always been difficult enough without adding to it by having problems with professional colleagues or former colleagues. Len G. Murray I guess I found it useful to realise that everything is true at once, you know? You can pull back and say, 'Everything will be fine,' but you can also be in a situation and say, 'Not everything is going to be fine.' Feist Once you understand that someone has Tourette and that they can't help their ti

By and large, I'm in the same boat as other inventors. If we're lucky, of

the 10 or 15 items we do a year, maybe one or two of them wind up with a licensing agreement. Ralph H. Baer Keep the faith; work hard: practice does make you perfect. Do what you can, and meet the right people to make it work. Christina Milian Many people don't understand ring control. They think they do until they're against someone who really understands how to set traps, how to create holes in the octagon that they fall into. Conor McGregor I assisted on a lot of films outside my dad's company. I only did two of his films. Arjun Kapoor A tapper sticks to existing routines. Whereas hoofing... a hoofer pushes the art form. Savion Glover You don't want to hear about how much money I donate to the Boys and Girls Clubs of America or to AIDS awareness or to give out scholarships. You don't want to hear about that. Allen Iverson Animals need to understand other species, if only to prey on them or escape from them. Elizabeth Marshall Thomas For me, r

I like Muhammad a lot, because he's like us more than anybody else. Jesus is

just so exalted, and Buddha is just so exalted, it's almost beyond our reach. Deepak Chopra It didn't matter that Charlie Chaplin may not have been a great director or a great anything else. He made great movies. Jon Landau I've never lost perspective on who I am. Well, maybe briefly, but generally I'm pretty balanced. Sting After I saw the first thing I ever did, I got a migraine. Claire Forlani I'm an exhibitionist, I was an exhibitionist as a kid. Dave Van Ronk There are lots of emotions that go with the Fourth of July. Dan Harmon You can tell an honest artist from one who's just given all their songs. Rita Ora You're either living or you're dead. Lil Wayne Sanely applied advertising could remake the world. Stuart Chase I read a lot of thrillers, especially American crime novels. Kate Mosse

Certain things can't be approximated, so I'm always interested in getting in another way, one

which makes the reader bend in closer to the scene even if that scene, especially if that scene, is painful... Brutal language isn't necessarily the most truthful way of describing a brutal moment. Anne Michaels The function of the novelist... is to comment upon life as he sees it. Frank Norris But I've got more to learn, too. I don't feel like I'm done or I know it all. Gary Sinise Man is the only animal that laughs and has a state legislature. Samuel Butler If its not done ethically, advertising won't be trusted. If consumers don't trust it, advertising is pointless. Jef I. Richards Simplicity does not precede complexity, but follows it. Alan Perlis There is always strength in numbers. The more individuals or organizations that you can rally to your cause, the better. Mark Shields If ye despise the human race, and mortal arms, yet remember that there is a God who is mindful of right and wrong. Virgil Had we but world enough, and time, t