Skip to main content

The president said nothing about the views of government in regard to the possibility of

Carolinas seceding. This however was frequently spoken of by other statesmen at the North. I think they were unanimous in this, that no army would be sent here.
John Bachman

I met some friends in the end of 10th, beginning of 11th, who were in the popular group so I finished off high school in that group and got to see both sides.
Shane West

Trees go wandering forth in all directions with every wind, going and coming like ourselves, traveling with us around the sun two million miles a day, and through space heaven knows how fast and far!
John Muir

It's just like music when you reckon it up. It's like listening to Pavement it's just The Fall in 1985, isn't it? They haven't got an original idea in their heads.
Mark E. Smith

What you have to do is enter the fiction of America, enter America as fiction. It is, indeed, on this fictive basis that it dominates the world.
Jean Baudrillard

I've reached a point in life where it's no longer necessary to try to impress. If they like me the way I am, that's good. If they don't, that's too bad.
Corazon Aquino

To observations which ourselves we make, we grow more partial for th' observer's sake.
Alexander Pope

This is my story, this is my song, praising my Saviour all the day long.
Jerome Hines

Golf is not a game of good shots. It's a game of bad shots.
Ben Hogan

Gemeoss

The great thing with film is that it doesn't have an ego. It's just a

film. Everybody that makes them has an ego, and the problem with awards and stuff like that is that it always affects the egos, and everyone gets stained by it in some way. And that can be fine and very innocent, but it can be horrible as well. Danny Boyle I have a taste for a kind of melancholy and for being an absolute victim of love. Arielle Dombasle I've never tried to do couture, because it's a whole different beast. Tommy Hilfiger As an actress, I was trained to show emotion I did not feel, or no emotion at all. Gene Tierney I come from a long line of people that write. My folks ran a weekly newspaper. Sam Wyly You know, one of my fears about living alone so long is that you get used to doing everything your own way. Terry McMillan No limits whatever are placed to the productions of the earth; they may increase forever. Thomas Malthus Theater is there to search for questions. It doesn't give you instructions. Vaclav Havel The best thing about be

He piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and

hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it. Herman Melville There is a sign that hangs on my wall that says, 'What is it you want me to do to somebody else that is more important than what you want me to do for you?' Dave Obey The human race has had long experience and a fine tradition in surviving adversity. But we now face a task for which we have little experience, the task of surviving prosperity. Alan Gregg This is my chance to get out there and appease the fans of my music as well as show people that I do do standup comedy because a lot of people don't know that's where I started. Nick Cannon I hardly ever listen to any of our old stuff now. Once the songs have been recorded and put on to vinyl they become someone else's entertainment, not mine. Robert Smith How oft the sight of means to do ill deeds makes ill deeds done! William Shakespeare Fear is natur

Growing up in northern California has had a big influence on my love and respect

for the outdoors. When I lived in Oakland, we would think nothing of driving to Half Moon Bay and Santa Cruz one day and then driving to the foothills of the Sierras the next day. Tom Hanks The merit of a democratic regime rests on one's continual willingness to exchange views, and to compete on the basis of individual merit and capacities. Jose Eduardo dos Santos I love artists like Jon B, but I don't wanna be compared to anybody. I'm just doing my interpretation of rnb and how someone like me should be doing it. Brian Harvey In recent years, we have been sending a clear, consistent signal about the harms of drugs, particularly marijuana, which for most young people is the first illegal drug that they are exposed to. John Walters It is not necessary that whilst I live I live happily; but it is necessary that so long as I live I should live honourably. Immanuel Kant When I go to a concert, I can't believe that people pay lots of money to see a band that t

I wanted to be a doctor at one point and I also wanted to be

a pilot. I think if you grow up in a dodgy area, reality often beats down those ambitions as you get older. But with me that never really happened. James McAvoy I know what it's like to start a business. I know how extra ordinarily difficult it is to build something from nothing. I know how government kills jobs and, yes, I know how it can help from time- to-time. Mitt Romney I do, however, feel reasonably strongly the sense that the job of a piece of argumentative scholarly non-fiction is not the same as the job of a piece of fiction. China Mieville I was raised to think cursing makes you look unintelligent. Chloe Grace Moretz Listen to many, speak to a few. William Shakespeare I get recognized so much. It happens mostly when I'm in Starbucks. Katee Sackhoff I am bundle of nerves riddled with irrational fears. Tori Spelling I wrote songs all my life, where anyone wanted to hear them or not. Tommy Shaw As a teenager especially, I just wanted to do my thi

Instead of giving money to found colleges to promote learning, why don't they pass a

constitutional amendment prohibiting anybody from learning anything? If it works as good as the Prohibition one did, why, in five years we would have the smartest race of people on earth. Will Rogers Men of integrity, by their very existence, rekindle the belief that as a people we can live above the level of moral squalor. We need that belief; a cynical community is a corrupt community. John W. Gardner Because wherever I am today, I still owe it to God and I owe it to two men - the Honorable Elijah Muhammad and Malcolm X and of course, two very special women, my mother and my wife. Louis Farrakhan The only method by which people can be supported is out of the effort of those who are earning their own way. We must not create a deterrent to hard work. Robert Taft Each age tries to form its own conception of the past. Each age writes the history of the past anew with reference to the conditions uppermost in its own time. Frederick Jackson Turner While a lab Director can ge

If you are talented, you can really do anything. And if your heart is at

the right place and you have the passion for it, you can go for it and do it. Heidi Klum As an actor there are times when you're sitting around and wishing you were working, so you've got to just take it when it comes. Rosario Dawson The hardest decisions in life are not between good and bad or right and wrong, but between two goods or two rights. Joe Andrew I'm writing, and just doing the same thing I always do. Eddie Van Halen Being alone is very difficult. Yoko Ono Natural gas is great for America in so many ways. Ed Rendell Science does not permit exceptions. Claude Bernard You can't know about marriage until you try it. Greg Evigan History is the key to everything: politics, religion, even fashion. Eva Herzigova There's something about a humid, dusky evening that's kind of sexy. Sam Trammell

Regardless of how it's done, transaction costs will continue to plummet as computers get more

powerful. Low transaction costs are a wonderful thing if you're in the transaction business. They're wonderful for consumers too, making it cheaper and easier to buy things and creating new things to buy. Nathan Myhrvold If I have a rap album I'm dropping, then I want it to be the best rap album. Lil Wayne If you think about it, episodic filmmaking has not been something that people have really done. Tony Gilroy There are lots of moments that are great for an actress. Ruth Wilson I'm the ranking Republican on the foreign aid appropriations subcommittee, so I know Tunisia well. Lindsey Graham Every man has three characters - that which he exhibits, that which he has, and that which he thinks he has. Alphonse Karr Also, many consumers consider a critic to be like God Almighty. Robert Mondavi You just get the vibes of your surroundings and it rubs off on you. Gordon Lightfoot Actors rarely stay in touch with directors after they've filmed togeth

I have this home in New York, I have a long-term relationship with my boyfriend,

who's from Australia, and I had this business that I had maintain. Even though I wasn't actively shooting, there's a lot of peripheral work. Claire Danes I believe in a packed Heaven and an empty Hell. Pat Buckley Christ was only crucified once and for a few hours. Think of the hundreds of thousands whom Christ has been crucifying in a quiet way ever since. Samuel Butler I don't have a tailor, but I do love clothes. David Oyelowo The first time I stepped on an NBA court I became a businessman. LeBron James I say you must not win an unjust case by oaths. Aeschylus I don't wish my career on anyone. John Entwistle I didn't get depressed, I don't get depressed. Gordon Ramsay I don't like to stop. I believe you stop when you die. Lil Wayne Most of my friends are women - I quite fancied being a woman in a way. Alexei Sayle

France can never accept that it is no longer a dominating power in the world

of culture. This is true both of the French right and the French left. They keep thinking that Americans are primitive cowboys or farmers who do not understand anything. Adam Michnik Behind a leader there must be followers, but they should always be on the lookout for the main chance and ready to change sides if the current leader doesn't deliver. Mary Douglas The different ness of races, moreover, is no evidence of superiority or of inferiority. This merely indicates that each race has certain gifts which the others do not possess. Carter G. Woodson Watching a peaceful death of a human being reminds us of a falling star; one of a million lights in a vast sky that flares up for a brief moment only to disappear into the endless night forever. Elisabeth Kubler-Ross I wrote a novel for my degree, and I'm very happy I didn't submit that to a publisher. I sympathize with my professors who had to read it. David Eddings Believe me, when an actress is told that her v

I'd like to be the commissioner of tennis, but do I want to get into

politics? Sometimes I have delusions of grandeur that that would be an interesting, good thing. I'm talking about actual politics, like being a congressman, but then I see how unbelievably nasty it really is, and maybe I'm not quite knowledgeable enough to actually do it. John McEnroe That room was not available, and the only other room had been booked for a Jewish bar mitzvah. I called the father and told him I needed the room and I would pay him to move the bar mitzvah to an adjoining room which was smaller. Lew Wasserman I've felt that if you dwell too much on your errors, you're dealing in the negativity of things. I don't like that. I'd rather work on the positive reinforcement, the things I did well. Hale Irwin Pride is a sin that can readily be seen in others but is rarely admitted in ourselves. Ezra Taft Benson As long as I play ball, I can get any woman I want. Dennis Rodman It's a market economy. Apparently the demand for great coach